BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Legend has it that this car was repainted from its original Polaris/Imolasilber to Diamantschwarz-metallic, prior to being taken to Hong Kong by its UK owner.
It was later brought to New Zealand and registered here in 1999, having had 4 NZ owners.
BMW M5 E28 1986 | Trade Me
Shipping cost to UK port is around 1700USD.

(not affiliated)

Attachments

·
Registered
7,645 Posts
NZD 65000 = £31000 appx at current exchange rates , which for a relatively clean and low mileage example with a rebuilt engine seems quite a reasonable asking price cet par .

D

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
NZD 65000 = £31000 appx at current exchange rates , which for a relatively clean and low mileage example with a rebuilt engine seems quite a reasonable asking price cet par .

D
Yes it is reasonably priced.
Not sure what a UK buyer would have to pay in import taxes on a 30-year-old car, but I'd guess this machine could be landed and registered for around £36000.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Two questions - firstly, do we think the market will like one that's not in its factory colour? Secondly, if the VIN decoder is to be believed, my car (#21) has a production date of a day earlier than this one - I guess they didn't quite come off the line sequentially!

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Two questions - firstly, do we think the market will like one that's not in its factory colour? Secondly, if the VIN decoder is to be believed, my car (#21) has a production date of a day earlier than this one - I guess they didn't quite come off the line sequentially!
Yes, No. 19 rolled off the line one day after yours, on 4th June 1986.
First registered in the UK on 06-Oct-1986 as D474 FYN by BMW-owned dealership Park Lane Ltd, the car was initially designated as a ‘Training and Development’ vehicle and was kept at BMW GB’s Bracknell training facility.
As such, the car would have spent much of its early life being used to demonstrate things like valve adjustment, throttle setting and timing chain replacement, to BMW technicians who were sent to Bracknell for training, from dealerships throughout the UK.

It is thought that upon leaving Bracknell, the car was repainted by BMW GB at the request of her first private UK owner, but this has not been confirmed.
Just when she left the UK for the Far East is unknown, although a search of UK de-registration records may reveal this.
Likewise, very little is known of the car's subsequent Hong Kong history, other than the fact that she was purchased there by a Kiwi-expat friend of mine, who brought the car to NZ when he moved back here in 1999.
So this is an M5 with quite a history (albeit somewhat sketchy) and, although I'd love the car to remain in New Zealand, it would somehow be fitting to see her returned to her country of origin: even more so, to be restored to her original factory paint finish.
:M5thumbs:

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can tell you this car looks as good in the 'metal' as she does in the pictures.
Wouldn't mind having it parked in my garage, but the ensuing divorce would cost me dearly!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
4 Participants
BMWWGN
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing