BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The latest/first review of the m5 and cls55 from "auto motor sport" is laying in front of me. unfortunately i am not able to scan it, maybe someone else can do it...
i just want to let you know the important acceleration times and so on...

here we go:
speed m5 cls55
0-100 4,7 4,7
0-120 6,3 6,2
0-140 7,9 8,0
0-160 10,0 10,3
0-180 12,2 12,8
0-200 14,8 15,5

100-0 39m 39m
190-0 137m 139m

price 86k 96k

before someone asks, why both cars brake so worse, ams use a new method for meassuring the braking distance. other car mags just meassure the way the car needs to stop beginning when the brake pads are in contact with the disc and deaccelerate. ams includes the way the car goes, while the brake pads need time to get in contact with the disc. you can call it the reaction time of the braking system. so 39m is pretty good but not spectacular. for comparison the new porsche carrera with normal brakes needs 36m (130m for 190-0).

winner of the review is the cls with 515 to 513 points for the m5. the tester said, the m5 is the sportier car, more driving pleasure, great smg, better than previous versions, big fun to drive...

have a nice day

·
Registered
49 Posts
The M5 only appears to have been outperformed by the CLS 55 in the 0-120 category if I'm not mistaken? :confused: It would seem that there is no question that it is clearly the better performer. It would be interesting to see the categories that the magazine rated the CLS55 higher. For my money however, the "Beemer" rules! lovelove

·
Registered
49,477 Posts
I think the 0-200 km/h time is a clear dissappointment. I also cannot beleive how the CLS55 AMG won? What was the criteria for the test? Best autobahn car? Best sporty sedan? Everything except 0-100 km/h is a dissappointment.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gustav said:
I think the 0-200 km/h time is a clear dissappointment. I also cannot beleive how the CLS55 AMG won? What was the criteria for the test? Best autobahn car? Best sporty sedan? Everything except 0-100 km/h is a dissappointment.
autozeitung tested the m5 with 13,9s for 0-200

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
categories are:

chasis (room, options, quality, passive safety, trunk...)
operation
comfort (seats, suspension, climate control, noise...)
engine and drive train (fuel consumption, acceleration, transmission...)
driving safety (traction, steering, dynamic...)
brakes (cold, warm, feeling of the pedal, 100-0, 190-0...)
environment
price

here are the results:

category cls m5 max
chasis 73 82 100
operation 44 42 50
comfort 87 78 100
engine 77 71 100
safety 81 85 100
brakes 50 49 50
environment 22 21 50
price 81 85 100
-------------------------
515 513 650

the m5 lost points for operability (i-drive), suspansion (comfort) and seats, and high fuel consumption.

as i mentioned, they said the m5 is more fun to drive and each car suits their clientele well...

·
Registered
16 Posts
I must say, the two biggest automags, auto motor und sport and autobild are very conservative. Most times the mercs win in the tests because of their comfort qualitieshmmm . I believe that the testers are "old men".The only real german carmag that counts for me is Sportauto.

·
Registered
955 Posts
so M5 lost the comparison even though "the m5 is the sportier car, more driving pleasure, great smg, better than previous versions, big fun to drive..." i thought all thsoe are what buyers are looking for in a sportsedan????

and they are saying AMG's V8 Kompressor engine is better than M5's V10?

is it just me, or this is not making much sense at all :confused2

·
Registered
49,477 Posts
M5 loose in "operation": i-drive and SMGIII fault here.

M5 loose in brakes: again, why did it have to be like this?

comfort: stupid category ;)

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
The stock M5 cabin is very poor (plastic feeling with ghastly colours). In comparison the CLS is very luxurious with a very warm & high quality feel.

Thankfully the M5 can be sorted inside by "dressing it up" with BMW Individual, but surely the car deserves a better interior in the first place!? :grrrrr:

·
Registered
260 Posts
The part were the V8 is better than the V10 just made me have a big laught!
But never mind! The M5 will always win every comparasion we read! :flag:
Won´t it? :D

:cheers:

·
Registered
897 Posts
Found some slalom numbers from the same test over in the MB Forum:

18m Slalom (unloaded) = M5 65,3 km/h CLS 62,9 km/h
ISO-Slalom (unloaded) = M5 = 138,5 km/h CLS 136,6 km/h

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Gustav said:
M5 loose in "operation": i-drive and SMGIII fault here.

M5 loose in brakes: again, why did it have to be like this?

comfort: stupid category ;)
just 1point vor pedal feeling...

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
tifosi said:
so M5 lost the comparison even though "the m5 is the sportier car, more driving pleasure, great smg, better than previous versions, big fun to drive..." i thought all thsoe are what buyers are looking for in a sportsedan????

and they are saying AMG's V8 Kompressor engine is better than M5's V10?

is it just me, or this is not making much sense at all :confused2
that are just points. if you compare these cars you have to give one of them more points for comfort while the other one gets more points for "sportier things"... 512 to 515 that is a difference of less then 1%. that is nothing!!!

if you want a tuned-up grand-pa-coupe with too many doors go for the cls.
if you want a dynamic car, which is a pleasure to drive and makes you smiling all the day, go for the m5!!! :1:

·
Registered
152 Posts
Can`t believe that they rated 6 points more for CLS engine, I think it depends on persolal point of view how good is the engine :rolleyes: And as it is said the engine is as good as it sounds :M5rev:
Times seem to be put direct from brochure, not real test...Just gotta read it myself.

·
Registered
885 Posts
100-200 in 10+ sec. isn't that spectacular.He will have problems gaining real distance to the old BT. ;)

1 - 20 of 52 Posts