BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Met Sal last week to see what magic he could do on the car and while I was there he offered me a go in his M5 with the new Valve Exhaust.

Tune
Put the car on the dyno and was pretty disappointed with the numbers, only pushing out about 470.

After some investigation and comparisons to Sals E60 it turns out one of the front banks had a MAF that was on the way out, replaced this for his own MAF and off we go again. On these runs the power delivery was much smoother and consistent right until the limit.

Max we got from the car was 510BHP which when compared to where we started was a fair jump, take away the dodgy MAF and I guess it would be about 20-25 horses gain.

Car feels more responsive through the gears and feels a lot stronger especially when pulling from a low rev / high gear scenario.

I asked Sal to disable the cold start up which has made the mornings a lot more pleasant J.
Not sure if it was the dodgy MAF or Sals tune but the car raising the idle when sitting still has also now gone which is great.

Next on the shopping list will be to get rid of the MAF’s in the entirety, BMW want £270 per bank so that makes Sal a bit cheaper for his MAFless tune.

1/4 Mile
Just so happened a few months ago I arranged to go to SantaPod the following weekend. Thought it would be a good test of the tune so kept the date. I ended up running a 13.58 (112.78 MPH) 1/4 mile with no launch / S6 / DSC off. The car is definitely capable of sub 13 but I just couldn’t put the power down. With a hour between runs I got fed up of waiting around so that was the best of the 4 runs I had.

Exhaust
While waiting around Sal offered me a go in the M5 with the new value based exhaust. Before taking it out for a blast we had a quick go at some video of the two cars revving, my car is running a E-RACE v Sals custom exhaust.

Like all exhaust videos it never does it justice unless you’re standing right there so if you thinking about purchasing one of these then go see it in real life!

For those that have heard the Eisenmann, Sals exhaust can be compared like for like at the high end F1 scream. The sound from the evolve setup is sharper, almost binary in comparison to Eisenmann.

After driving the car for a bit and numerous change downs the lack of drone inside the cabin is pretty spectacular. I don’t know how they have managed to get so much sound out of the exhaust with literally zero drone, if you have a ERACE you know exactly what I mean.

Bumbling along at 1-2k you can probably hear the engine more than the exhaust note, change down, blip of the throttle and wooooooooaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh off she goes.

All in all a excellent acoustic improvement over stock.

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Wow evolve sounds really good, so this exhaust has electronic valve cutouts?

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow evolve sounds really good, so this exhaust has electronic valve cutouts?
Yeah, get a little key fob akin to the car key that enables the gasses to be diverted between loud and quiet paths inside the back box .

To be honest I'd take the exhaust without this electronic trickery in its loud form any day.

The zero drone is spot on, do realise this is coming from a Erace owner so I have no idea what stock sounds like anymore but it's a **** load quieter than mine in the cabin.

·
Company Representative for Evolve Automotive
3,068 Posts
Mark,

nice to meet you finally and thanks for all of the Cadbury's fingers! Every version on the market was produced. We are still eating them :)

Thanks for the appreciation on the E-Tronic and noticing it's important features.

Look forward to seeing you on the not so distant future!

·
Registered
568 Posts
"I asked Sal to disable the cold start up which has made the mornings a lot more pleasant J.
Not sure if it was the dodgy MAF or Sals tune but the car raising the idle when sitting still has also now gone which is great."

==> Hey, this can really be done??? I'd be very interested, if Sal can comment on this?

·
Registered
932 Posts
"I asked Sal to disable the cold start up which has made the mornings a lot more pleasant J.
Not sure if it was the dodgy MAF or Sals tune but the car raising the idle when sitting still has also now gone which is great."

==> Hey, this can really be done??? I'd be very interested, if Sal can comment on this?
I know you are waiting on Sal to comment however wanted to share my experience. Yes it can be done and is a consistent car start. The noise level you hear after the car calms down 60-90 seconds in is what you get right from the start with the evolve tune. I know my neighbors all appreciate this feature!

·
Registered
559 Posts
sal is the best

·
Company Representative for Evolve Automotive
3,068 Posts
Here are the dyno graphs

As explained by Mark the initial figures were very low. Car went into limp mode with the stock tune on the dyno after a few runs. Fault code was one of the MAF's.

The first graph here shows what the MAF change did:

You can see how much power especially through the RPM was gained. I logged the ignition timing before and after too. Before it was running 10 degrees below the stock targets!

So, using the baseline with the new MAF we then proceeded to flash the car and below you can see the results. Higher figures were achieved but these cannot be shown because they are not the average readings:

Wheel HP vs Wheel Torque

Flywheel Power vs Flywheel Torque

Directly inline with what we quote when a car is properly tested and data logged.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I just got the Evolve E-tronic's installed (mufflers only) and I love every second of it! Loud when I want to go nuts, quiet when I/m just cruising along. Here is a thread where I review the system with videos.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts