1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
DinanS2+ e60m5 6MT, s38b38 e28m5 TT/ST3, e30 TT/ST4
6,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Review: 6MT bimmerworld/ClutchMasters FX350 clutch and LTW single-mass steel FW

My Goal:

A streetable solution with an updated clutch and LTW single-mass FW. I wanted race track durability with traffic jam drive ability. I also didn’t want something too aggressive that would transfer any shock loads down my drivetrain and cause another down-stream component to fail.

With that said, I have LTW FWs in my track car and race car and always felt my s85 was slow to rev. The lag is noticeable during H/T downshifts, which has ALWAYS bugged me. My SprintBooster helps, but it’s only a band-aid. I knew I wanted a LTW FW when the time arrived.

Background:

At 157,000 miles my clutch finally kicked the bucket! Driving back from San Francisco with the family, my tranny decided to kick the bucket. No worries, I don’t need a stinking 3rd pedal to shift my 6 speed! The timing was awesome, as I got to drive through LA traffic using only two of my three pedals. The previous owner replaced clutch at 18,000, right before I bought the car way back when! I basically got 139,000 miles on my last clutch — of track days, ShiftSectors, SoCal and NorCal traffic, etc...I couldn’t have asked more from my clutch.

Replacement options for a 6MT:

OEM, LUK, and Spec are the standard dual mass solutions, but I had to be a little bit different.

My first choice was an Einhorn Industries lightened OEM FW from my buddy @M5Jed. He’s made several for the s62 and made a couple for the s85s. Unfortunately, the timing was off for us. My race shop, OMS, has worked with bimmerwolrd on clutch/FW solutions for their track cars and race cars. Based on my driving experience, set-up, and usage, they recommended a CluchMasters FX350 clutch and LTW SM steel FW. I also took the opportunity swap my tired 157,000 mile transmission with a low-mile s65 transmission, with the plumbing for a transmission cooler.

Pros:

Wow! The bite and engagement of the clutch is awesome — sharp, but streetable. You have to get the shift right. It is ON or OFF like a race clutch, but pedal pressure is OEM easy. H/T just got that much better.

The LTW FW revs so much easier on-throttle. Off-throttle, the needle drops nicely without hanging. The car pulls from 2500 to 3000 rpm now. WOT shifts just spin my PS4S 305 rears, if I just mat the pedal, even more so than before.

Cons:

Bedding and break-in sucked. 500 miles, in which I was seeking out stop-and-go-traffic. I had ZERO play in new transmission. The bite in the clutch was instantaneous. Did I mention there was ZERO play? At times, I had to turn the car off to find 1st or Reverse. My right foot had to re-learn how to talk to my left foot. And yes, there is a very slight chatter, once the car has warmed up. One reason I opted for a steel FW: the chatter from steel is not nearly as loud as an aluminum FW. It is not noticeable in the cabin, with the windows up or the stereo on.

Lessons learned with SM FW for my 6MT:

I was the 6MT testbed. It’s not quite plug-and-play to go from the OEM dual mass to a single mass flywheel. We learned the stack heights are different between a single and dual, which means ClutchMasters had to custom fab a larger pilot bearing.

Conclusion:

At 3000 miles in, I’m loving it. Now everything is as smooth as buttah! Shifting feels deliberate and precise. Throttle response feels so much better and the s85 revs so much easier.

http://instagr.am/p/BxnNsTfDWwD/ (Edit) Sound of the flywheel:

·
Registered
152 Posts
do you know if the larger pilot bearing will be part of the package or do I have to ask for it separately? wouldn't want to get into the job only to find out that I had to ask for something that wasn't included with the kit.
I'm at 86k miles, with no signs of anything being wrong.... just educating myself.

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
do you know if the larger pilot bearing will be part of the package or do I have to ask for it separately? wouldn't want to get into the job only to find out that I had to ask for something that wasn't included with the kit.
I'm at 86k miles, with no signs of anything being wrong.... just educating myself.
I would emphasize that you have a 6MT when you make the order, not a SMG, and you need an updated pilot bearing.

In my situation, we sent (on bimmerworld’s dime) my entire transmission to ClutchMasters to ensure proper development/fitment of the updated pilot bearing.

bimmerworld “should” have everything they need for their 6MT kit, but I would re-emphasize that you need an updated pilot bearing at the time of purchase.

If you’re an SMG, going to a single mass, I’m not sure about the stack heights.

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quick update...getting a warranty clutch from CM. Moving to a FX400. We just put an FX400 in the e30 racecar as well. Going to run the FX400 in the 14.5 hour enduro race this weekend.

Still working out the details on the e60, but I only got 14,000 miles out of the FX350. I should have more info next week, when I get back from the race.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts