BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just completed fitting a back-up camera to my E39 M5 and thought others might be interested in how I did it.
I have attached a PDF format file that pretty much explains it all.
The camera housing I made was based on the one in a BMW supplied kit but now NLA.
I made the housing using a 3D printer, but it could fairly easily be made by other methods.

Attachments

·
Banned
3,793 Posts
id be interested

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Id be interested as well.

1 question though how do you get the video to show on the screen when you back up? is there a setting on the nav you select to bring up the vid feed?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all your comments. I would be willing to make camera housings for $50 each plus $5.80 shipping anywhere in the US. The delivery time would be about two weeks from receipt of payment via PayPal.
Do recognize that the housing is specifically for the ALPINE Camera I used and may not be suitable for other makes. Also the trunk release switch should be 3/4" diameter thread. I can provide the E Bay seller's identity for this item but there may well be other switches that will fit fine. I think it is important to use an IP67 or 68 rated switch to prevent water ingress.
As to the reversing switch question, the signal comes from the left back-up light lead.
Getting the camera cable through the rubber flex tube on the trunk lid is a real bear. There is not room to feed the cable through with its connector in place. What I did was cut the cable near the small white connector, solder on a single insulated wire that would act as a feed through and use silicon grease to ease the passage. It helps to disengage the rubber boot both at the trunk lid and where it fits to the body - this gives additional flexibility when fishing the wire through.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
cool thanks.

I just looked up the Naviks on ebay and it looks like it goes for $200 from the seller on your pdf. so I am assuming using that you can connect any video feed to the nav.

I see there are some other Alpine cameras available I wonder if they are all the same size.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes I think $500 or a bit less would be the component budget.
My cost breakdown was about
$180 Navik (on sale)
$150 Alpine Camera System
$15 for the trunk lid pushbutton switch
$6 for the DB9 right angle adapter
$8 for the relay pair
$15 for misc wiring parts

Total $374 plus cost of the camera housing

Not cheap but it does give a very nice quality picture: I chose Alpine since they are a high quality product and are also original suppliers to BMW
There are less expensive solutions but the last thing I wanted is to spend my labor time and end up with a poor system.

Given all your interest, I am thinking I will make up a small batch of housings and post them on E Bay at $50 + $5.80 shipping.
I will post to this list to give you a heads up a day before I put the listing on E bay so you guys get first cut at the first batch.

I think it will be a couple of weeks before this is done.

While the housing might work with other cameras you would have to decide this for yourselves. I chose the wide angle Alpine simply because I wanted to have the camera in the best protected position which allowed it to be pointed down by 40 degrees to the horizontal.
I have taken it through a car wash and it survived but I must confess I covered the exposed part of the camera with a small piece of insulating tape just to be safe.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts