BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Next on my list of long term fixes of little bits on my m5 is the reverse lights - or lack thereof. I previously looked underneath and the connections looked a little coroded and I couldnt really get to the switch to test if it was the switch or wiring, but have purchased another switch just incase. I've read a couple of posts where people have mentioned that it's possible to get to this from inside the car by removing the gator and center console.

Just wondering if any on here have attempted this and can confirm this is possible before i start dismantling the center console.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Hello, I think you should test the switch supply first just to make sure that the problem is not in the loom somewhere.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Hi, I don't know if you can reach the switch from inside the car to remove it but its fairly easy to remove underneath with the aid of a torch and a stubby spanner. You can bypass the switch from inside the car though, if you remove the gear lever gaitor and the foam beneath it you will see the two wires coming in the gear lever aperture from under the car. Trace these to an intermediate plug, disconnect it then bridge across where the switch would usually go and see if you have reverse lights,

MIKE.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well you definately cannot get to the switch from inside, but disconnecting the harness inside and bridging results in reverse lights - i think i may order the harness from inside as from when i looked underneath the harness was brittle and coroded.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I wouldn't bother fiddling around inside. I had the same prob on my 1995 6 speed. The BMW dealer said that the switches always go faulty inside them.

Just unscrew the old one from the gearbox and replace.

Sorted my lights that way.

Hope you have the same quick fix.

Mark
:cheers:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts