BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
eas - 714.369.8524 | Reverse License Plate Camera with LED

Im looking into buying some sort of small camera that will stay on and that is waterproof so that I can attach it to my aux in / RCA video in to the M5.

Anyone have any opinions or suggestions?
Does this reverse cam connect via RCAs/aux in? or through the Nav unit itself?

·
Registered
5,532 Posts

·
Registered
2,266 Posts

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Ah, that's what was posted, ah well....

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Ah, that's what was posted, ah well....
Lol !

However I fear that for the US guys the OEM kit becomes a bit expensive as their cars don't have TV Tuners I think ....

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Yeah, would stack up if you needed to add that, I guess, sorry for the double post, it looked as though you'd linked to a part, then it became obvious...

The reversing camera is something on my list, it's not too expensive (for cars with the TV tuner anyway), and despite some awkward wiring, I think it would be a nice addition.

·
Registered
89 Posts
the wiring is not that hard. its all of 5 wires if i remember correctly(12v power, ground, reverse light, video + and -) all is done in the nav location. the worest part of the job is running the wires through the rubber boot for the trunk lid to the trunk and getting the camera to mount right as its not a super secure design. it will be finding all the parts thats a pain as it took quit awhile for me to find the used tv tuner/ant. but i have read that it can be done with a video switcher that you can get from bmw. all the info you need including part numbers are in a bmw camera install pdf manual.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
The routing of the wires from the bootlid into the boot through the rubber boot is what I was referring to in terms of 'not easy'.

The other article refers to the fact that the mounting plate could be re-done to improve position and strength, doesn't seem difficult, but not what you would expect to need to do an an OEM part...

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
He has a TV tuner so he's got that part of the battle won. (I keep asking him to sell it to me for this very purpose)

·
Registered
89 Posts
cam postion is fine if you are only using it for it intended purpose backing up. if you want to drive and use it as a rear view mirror then yes you need to repostion it for sure. and Hdhntr23 just buy the switch box and cam your good to go as the tv tuner is useless for you guys in the states as it will soon be useless here in canada when analog tv is turned off and all goes digital.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
There are plenty of 'universal' reversing camera kits on ebay etc. that cost beer money. Not surprising when you think you get a belter camera in a mobile phone nowadays.

Personally, I'd only want it for reversing, and the OEM kit seems OK for that.

·
Registered
571 Posts

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
481 Posts
the wiring is not that hard. its all of 5 wires if i remember correctly(12v power, ground, reverse light, video + and -) all is done in the nav location. the worest part of the job is running the wires through the rubber boot for the trunk lid to the trunk and getting the camera to mount right as its not a super secure design. it will be finding all the parts thats a pain as it took quit awhile for me to find the used tv tuner/ant. but i have read that it can be done with a video switcher that you can get from bmw. all the info you need including part numbers are in a bmw camera install pdf manual.
Running the wiring through the rubber boot is a real PITA. I managed to push a bit of coat-hanger wire through the rubber boot first, then tied the wiring to it, and then smearing vasaline all over the wiring made it a lot easier to pull through.

·
Registered
89 Posts
to get the wires through the boot just use a big zip tie or the piece that is attached to the oem harness if you go the oem route (the stick on mine was brittle and broke) so i used a big zip tie taped on the wires well alittle wd-40 or other spay lube and pull slowly nothing that bad if lubed up just take your time as there are alot of wires you really done want to cut in that harness.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts