BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Gents,

Close to buying an E60 M5 and would like to re-use my relatively new snow tires from my current car. They are 245/40R18 and I believe the load rating is 95 or 97 since the car they're used on now is around 3800lb. They are only about a year old and I likely won't get much extra if I sell them with the car, or even on the secondary market like Craigslist.

Are these a reasonable size and load-rating to use on the E60? Will 18s even clear the brakes? I would throw them on a second set of wheels for the winter, of course. And yes, I know the speedo will be off.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
When you buy the 18inch winter set from tirerack the size they recommend is 255/45-18. I say give Luke, or someone else at TireRack a call and ask them.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks. I saw some old threads about 18" track tires but there wasn't anything very concrete posted. Someone had mentioned using E9x M3 wheels with spacers. I'd rather just use some inexpensive wheels for the winter that can get beat up.

Is the speedo driven from the front or rear wheel sensors? Would like to calculate the discrepancy I might have.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I use 18" winters and they clear the brakes. Some ppl have had issues though.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Talked to Luke. He said the 18s are not as tall and the load rating is not quite enough. The V10 makes the front of the M5 quite heavy.

Sounds like these won't work. Damn.

·
Registered
933 Posts
some 18s dont fit. it all depends on the offset of the wheels.

I tried 18" replica wheels on my M6 when I first got it, and the brakes were in the way

1 - 6 of 6 Posts