BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as you know my M5 is no more. Which means I need to acquire a new one.

I think I have found my beast of choice, but I'm not sure if it has voice control. I know I have the module from my old one, but I'm guessing there's a little more to it than just plugging that in.

Anyone know what needs to be done, or even if it's possible?

Thanks,

YG

·
Registered
89 Posts
is the new car the same year as the old one? if so just check for the wiring in the left rear corner by the nav unit and lookin the sunroof switch panel for the mic or the mic wiring by the dome light. all i need to do was plug the parts in to make it work in my 03 m5.

·
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
n0thingface, no the new one is 2 or 3 years newer than the old one.

Richard, the old one had a discrete VR module on a bracket in front of the TV tuner/behnd the CD changer. That module is now on my desk...

Cheers,

YG

·
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's rather what I thought, thanks.

YG

·
Registered
89 Posts
you'll need the mic for sure if it does not have one installed the wires will be in the headliner by the dome light small 3 wire black plug. if its a 02 or 03 there should be a muting plug on the ses plug (i think its blue not sure though and located on one of the harnesses under the panel in front of the nav cover) just remove the plug and plug it into the v/r module, but if the car has a ulf in it you will have v/r already. you may also need to turn the v/r option on in the ibus system if not enabled or working after you plug it in. that should be thats needed.

·
Registered
89 Posts
you'll need the mic for sure if it does not have one installed the wires will be in the headliner by the dome light small 3 wire black plug. if its a 02 or 03 there should be a muting plug on the ses plug (i think its blue not sure though and located on one of the harnesses under the panel in front of the nav cover) just remove the plug and plug it into the v/r module, but if the car has a ulf in it you will have v/r already. you may also need to turn the v/r option on in the ibus system if not enabled or working after you plug it in. that should be thats needed.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
I'd have thought that installing a bluetooth ULF (assuming your replacement does not already have one) would be the best solution. It's not too hard to do if the car already has one of the older phone modules, and if you get one with the Siemens BLT phone (BMW Cordless) then I think it's supposed to be pretty much plug and play.

·
Registered
89 Posts
dont know about you guys over in europe but here in n/a every m5 i have seen has been prewire with the teleamatics option even if the phone is not installed as my 03 have no phone installed and i just plugged in the ulf module and mic. but to use the ulf on the older models (00-01 i think) you need an adapter harness the go from the old phone plug to the ulf module. yellowgixxer said he already has the v/r module so why not just use it?

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
UK spec cars are not automatially pre-wired for phone. They don't have the comms pack as standard either, so you get quite a few over here with no Nav or phone.

·
Registered
89 Posts
over here i have never seen one without nav and the phone was a option here though but everyone i have seen or worked on have the wiring present. but any way heres a pic of the plug that you will need to look for to plug the tcu (v/r module) unit into. as this is the plug i needed to remove from my tcu to put the plug into it you see there and use my ulf unit.

Attachments

·
1,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Guys, that's brilliant. Thanks very much.

2 cars on my shortlist, both with good things, both with less good. One doesn't have a phone, though it does have nav. I'll try to have a better look at it and see if either that plug or a mic are present.

But of course Richard is right, and if there's no voice comms already then a ULF is the way to go. Fortunately I have one of those as well, as I was going to upgrade my old one to support Bluetooth...

Cheers,

YG

1 - 15 of 15 Posts