BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I popped into the BMW sales showroom recently and was speaking with one of my co-workers and we both were discussing our fondness for the E60 M5 steering wheel. After talking with him, I began to get curious as to whether or not this would fit my 540i. After extensive research on this very subject, I determined that I was unsure of things and if it is possible, would I want to get into the wiring aspect of things..? I did pull out a eurotuner from last year and found a car that was converted from a 323i, into a 332i. Obviously this isn't regular BMW nomenclature, but if any of you know the displacement of the E46 M3s then you can assume what I am talking about. Yes, he pretty much performed a full conversion and tossed in a boat load of electronics.

The car looks great actually. The website is: e46.mit.edu and you can view all of the modifications as well as the entire project from start to finish here. The guy is quite impressive, especially after he states that he had ZERO technical abilities when he began the project.

In the car, he was able to retrofit an E60 M5 steering wheel to this vehicle. If I was to get the steering wheel without the SMG paddles then I wouldn't have to worry about converting the "M" button into my "SPORT" button (if performed on the M5 I plan to purchase) but I am wondering whether the other functions would still work. Like the cruise control and the audio controls...

If anyone knows anything about this, that would be great.

On a different note, can anyone find the part number for the wiring harness that has the illuminated shifter tap into the cigarette lighter or the ashtray? My dealer is telling me that they can no longer order the part, but apparently it doesn't supercede to anything though... Damn!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Not sure if this would be possible... Main reason being the computer system in the e60 and e39 are totally different. The e39 controls everything via i-Bus while the e60 is MOST-Bus (I think that's what it's called). If you jury rigged the steering wheel into your car, I'm not sure if you'd be able to retain airbag functionallity and you'd probably set off the SRS warning light (or it might set off the airbag).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts