BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the deal....

Found another M5 to replace my baby. Same everything, except no active seats and black interior.

I am planning on swapping the interior from the old one to the new one, however, my old one has active seats and the new one does not.

If I swap the seats and the buttons in the center console, will it work?

Thanks in advance for any help guys. Hopefully I'll be M5in' again soon :)

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Anything can be done. The question is how much will it cost to retro fit? I don't have that answer. Good luck if you give it a go.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Whew, I'm sure it can be done. But like Michael_s said, I bet it would cost a lottt. I know there was a thread on here about adding a HUD onto a car without it and people were suspecting around $10k for that. I would assume active seats would be similar... Sorry I don't have any specifics, but I would think it'd be a lot.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I understand what you guys are saying....

But, Active seats is much less invasive than retrofitting HUD.

Basically, I know I need the seats, and the center console buttons, and maybe programming at the dealer, but is there anything else? I think everything is prewired already.

Does anyone have the Bentley manual for this car?

(Edit: oops, posted on wrong account. Mike Benvo = me)

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Active seats [are] much less invasive than retrofitting HUD.
I agree with that, but when all is said and done it will still be very expensive. You'll have to buy the seats which will probably be pretty expensive (I would assume). Then have it installed and then get the buttons installed which probably won't be too bad. I think the hard part will be finding a car that would be willing to exchange the active seats for just regular ones.

It is good to see someone who really enjoys the active seats as much as I do!! Best of luck with getting this done. Glad you are okay from the accident!

·
Registered
539 Posts
I agree with that, but when all is said and done it will still be very expensive. You'll have to buy the seats which will probably be pretty expensive (I would assume). Then have it installed and then get the buttons installed which probably won't be too bad. I think the hard part will be finding a car that would be willing to exchange the active seats for just regular ones.

It is good to see someone who really enjoys the active seats as much as I do!! Best of luck with getting this done. Glad you are okay from the accident!
The seats will be coming from my M5 that was totaled last week.

If everything goes as planned, I will purchase this M5 I have my eye on which has everything but active seats, purchase my car from insurance, swap the seats, door panels, exhaust, and dash (if possible) on to the new one, and sell the wrecked one on ebay at a slight loss.

That way I can keep everything I like more on the old car and put it in the new car.

Thanks for the comments! I really need to find a wiring diagram of the seat connectors and of the interface that communicates with the Idrive unit to see if this is plug and play or "plug and pray".

Attached are pics of the interior I want to keep in my next M5 :grrrrr:

Attachments

·
Registered
685 Posts
I would say that if BMW has online manuals like nissan and toyota where you go online and pay by the day with your credit card ..you will get a good idea if get be done or just look at the harness but most likely you need the diagrams to locate the modules you will need....other then that you do the programming and you should be fine, you should factor in if you are buying the other m5 at a super price.

·
Registered
187 Posts
check the wiring harnesses, but if you have a friendly dealer (read: one that won't run screaming when you say the word "retrofit") you might be OK. You'll need the module with the buttons on it from your old car, and you'll have to do a retrofit on the new car to code the buttons. I'm not guaranteeing it will work, but if it will, that's the way it's going to have to be done.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
I say it should be fine. No problem and I dont even think coding is required.

Just make sure the year builds are the same or as close as can be.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I just posted in the Off Topic section (link)about somebody installing M5 active seats on their 545i so it should certainly be possible on genuine M-car.
Thanks scoopz...

btw, really enjoyed reading the PDF you made about the KOMBI instrument. Thanks for posting that. I remember going through the functions when I had my 1997 740i.

·
Moderator Emeritus
915 Posts
Thanks scoopz...

btw, really enjoyed reading the PDF you made about the KOMBI instrument. Thanks for posting that. I remember going through the functions when I had my 1997 740i.
Your welcome, took quite a while to put the KOMBI/OBC pdf together so I'm glad to see it's been appreciated :applause:.

You probably have already, but if not, make sure you've also checked out the hidden Navi and hidden ECU list too.

Be sure to keep us posted on how you get on transplanting the active seats from one M5 to another. It would be nice if it was a simple as swapping over the seats and the dashboard buttons but I wander if you'd need to reprogram any modules or are the seat modules all stand-alone and can be swapped over too?

My concern is that when I turn on the active seats, after v27 of the CCC the iDrive screen shows a visual confirmation of the setting chosen (comfort/normal/sport) which it didn't originally do. The M-drive settings also link into the active seats controls for programming M-seat mode. Is this programming built into all CCC modules but just unused if no active seats are detected? :confused:

·
Registered
539 Posts
Your welcome, took quite a while to put the KOMBI/OBC pdf together so I'm glad to see it's been appreciated :applause:.

You probably have already, but if not, make sure you've also checked out the hidden Navi and hidden ECU list too.

Be sure to keep us posted on how you get on transplanting the active seats from one M5 to another. It would be nice if it was a simple as swapping over the seats and the dashboard buttons but I wander if you'd need to reprogram any modules or are the seat modules all stand-alone and can be swapped over too?

My concern is that when I turn on the active seats, after v27 of the CCC the iDrive screen shows a visual confirmation of the setting chosen (comfort/normal/sport) which it didn't originally do. The M-drive settings also link into the active seats controls for programming M-seat mode. Is this programming built into all CCC modules but just unused if no active seats are detected? :confused:

That's weird... I had v24 or v25 software in my car, and it showed the visual display and integrated it into MDrive as well.

If I do decide to do the swap, I will certainly update the board on it. I'm pretty sure it can be accomplished with the seats and the center console buttons, the rest is probably programming. The car has many active busses, so I don't think there is any special wiring, etc.

Haven't had time to look at your other guides but briefly. Once I get the new car I'll probably be playing for awhile.

Thanks again! :applause:

·
Moderator Emeritus
915 Posts
That's weird... I had v24 or v25 software in my car, and it showed the visual display and integrated it into MDrive as well.
Yes mine has always shown the seat option on the M-drive settings page of the iDrive but screen confirmation of the seat settings after pressing the active seat buttons only appeared after one of my many software upgrades. I think I started on v23 and then went to v24, v25 and now v27, so you may be right and it might have been introduced with v24 or v25 and up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts