BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone attempted this? What did it entail? I wish my car was so equipped.

Also, is that an M5 part only or do any other 5 series have similar trim.

R

Side note, has anyone painted the black trim? I'm sure there are a couple.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
i know Dinan has upgraded at least one m5 with PDS -- $$$$$. I still don't think PDC has the sensitivity to be useful in the last 6 inches when you really need it (but that may have changed in later models).

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Ag02M5 said:
Has anyone attempted this? What did it entail? I wish my car was so equipped.
BMW sells kits to retrofit other 5s, I've got a rear PDC kit from Pacific BMW sitting on the shelf waiting to go into the spousal 540i, just need to scrape together a few more round tuits.

There might be a kit for the M5, worst case you'd have to buy the basic E39 kit plus the bumper trim strips with the holes for the sensors.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Ag02M5 said:
What parts are in the kit?

Did it not include the sensors?

If anyone knows the part numbers for the strips that would be helpful.

Thanks,

Ryan
The retrofit kit for up to 9/00 shows up as 66 20 0 007 358, this includes the sensors and wiring and beeper-box but not the bumper trim strips which will have to be ordered separately.

I can't find a listing for post 9/00, but there probably is one...

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
stever said:
i know Dinan has upgraded at least one m5 with PDS -- $$$$$. I still don't think PDC has the sensitivity to be useful in the last 6 inches when you really need it (but that may have changed in later models).
My car is an '01 and it seems to work fine at any distance. After some point, it just makes a real annoying flatline sound if you get too close to something. It sometimes warns me if someone is tailgating me at a stop. I find it very useful, but it should verbally tell me the distance rather than using variable beeps.

Some useful info, but not the greatest:
http://www.bmwtips.com/tipsntricks/tips_pages/pdc.htm

·
Registered
63 Posts
Ag02M5 said:
Is there any visual indicator or sound only in the factory setup?

R
The factory system has only sounds (beeping tones) that emanate from the front and rear speakers, respectively for obstacles front vs. rear. It would be nice if there was also left vs right directionality, but that is not present.

The beeping frequency increases to a solid tone as the obstacle comes closer.

·
Registered
767 Posts
I have the rear distance detection in my 2000 model, but can't find any reason to add the front. Any ideas as to why the front would be helpful? The only reason I can think of is pulling up to a structure while parking in order to clear an object in the rear.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Philip said:
I have the rear distance detection in my 2000 model, but can't find any reason to add the front. Any ideas as to why the front would be helpful? The only reason I can think of is pulling up to a structure while parking in order to clear an object in the rear.
Hi.

Would you mind sharing a little detail? Where you got what parts, any helpful hints?

TIA.

R

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
CB2002 said:
The factory system has only sounds (beeping tones) that emanate from the front and rear speakers, respectively for obstacles front vs. rear. It would be nice if there was also left vs right directionality, but that is not present...
I think it does give directional beeps from left and right speakers. I'll have to double-check.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Ag02M5 said:
Hi.

Would you mind sharing a little detail? Where you got what parts, any helpful hints?
I just noticed that the rear PDC tells me if I'm close to a low curb, even if I can't see it. I like it. The front does it too, but it seems to be aimed in a less sensative manner (higher).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts