BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Where's this C24 number from?
All the LCM4s I find on Ebay etc, they have HW version and SW version.
No mention of C24 or anything like this
Sorry it was a mobile writing prediction
mistake
But would you tell the difference between SW version and HW ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sorry I'm not sure I understand
The HW and SW versions are written on the module.
I was wondering if any LCM IV is good enough or having a later HW and SW version is better for some reason i.e. added functionality or something.

·
Registered
284 Posts
C24 refers to the coding index. They correlate with the SW version. C24 is the newest BMW made. C20 I think was the first LCMIV BMW made (factory equipment on 2003 E39s). The only notable feature that later LCMIVs add to my knowledge is bixenon support, which isn't relevant to the E39 if using OE lights.

·
Registered
19 Posts
C24 refers to the coding index. They correlate with the SW version. C24 is the newest BMW made. C20 I think was the first LCMIV BMW made (factory equipment on 2003 E39s). The only notable feature that later LCMIVs add to my knowledge is bixenon support, which isn't relevant to the E39 if using OE lights.
Do you now what is written on the LCM4 housing for that bixenon support one ?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Do you now what is written on the LCM4 housing for that bixenon support one ?

Just looked into it a little bit more. So actually all LCM4s support bixenon, but only newer LCM4s (CI23 and CI24) support having the bixenons on without the inner halogens at the same time. I believe CI23 corresponds to SW 7.0, so 7.0 or newer is probably what you would look for.

With all that said: All LCM4s use the same circuit board. I know for fact that CI20 LCM4s use a different processor (but compatible pinout). If you are handy with a soldering iron, you can replace the processor with the newer version (around $20 on mouser) and flash that with the newer software.

What is unclear to me is what processor the CI21 and CI22 LCMIVs have. If they have the same one as the 23/24 units, then one could flash the newer software onto those using a cheap programmer (like 10 bucks on Amazon).

41 - 45 of 45 Posts