BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
To each his own, and good DIY. But constantly turning HID bulbs on and off greatly reduces their lifespan, right?

IMHO, auto brights would be a more useful retrofit.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
To each his own, and good DIY. But constantly turning HID bulbs on and off greatly reduces their lifespan, right?

IMHO, auto brights would be a more useful retrofit.

I’m not sure I understand. The headlights come on when it’s dark outside, and go off when it’s light outside. Much the same as you’d do manually with the headlight switch.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I'm talking shadows, going from light to dark, tunnels, that sort of thing. But depending on your local area might not be issue.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
I'm talking shadows, going from light to dark, tunnels, that sort of thing. But depending on your local area might not be issue.
Constantly flashing any light source reduces its lifespan - HID or otherwise. With HID, the concern is really with the ignitor. Modern bulbs, ballasts and ignitors are designed for hot restrikes. Only the very old and most aftermarket equipment should actually show this concern.

Further, automatic headlight systems, even those on vehicles with tungsten-halogen bulb sets, have a delay built in and usually an adjustable sensitivity setting to minimize needless cycling.

In short, it's really not an concern.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I’m interested in adding auto headlights to my car. I want the headlights (and tail lights) to turn on at the hint of darkness or during early mornings. How sensitive is the light sensor of this e39 auto headlights system?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Iâ€m interested in adding auto headlights to my car. I want the headlights (and tail lights) to turn on at the hint of darkness or during early mornings. How sensitive is the light sensor of this e39 auto headlights system?
it is sensitive enough and very good it will turn on at the early morning and when you get into a tunnel or garage and will be off when day lights come around

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi and thanks for this step by step guide!

I'm wanting to retrofit this on my '03 E39, I will have a look to the LCM version that is fitted in my car, maybe it's already the correct one.

But I've two questions about the RLS sensor :

1) You gave instructions with removing the RS sensor, but what if the car doesn't have the RS sensor, is the connector for the RLS sensor still present somewhere ? Or is there a need to run new wires ?

2) On a car without RS, will your retrofit also add automatic wiper blades operation ?

·
Registered
224 Posts
You gave instructions with removing the RS sensor, but what if the car doesn't have the RS sensor, is the connector for the RLS sensor still present somewhere ? Or is there a need to run new wires ?

2) On a car without RS, will your retrofit also add automatic wiper blades operation ?

I thought RS was standard on all E39s, def shouldn’t be an issue on an ‘03

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
284 Posts
I thought RS was standard on all E39s, def shouldn’t be an issue on an ‘03

An 03 should have an RLS if it came with a rain sensor at all. If he somehow doesn't have one, then he'll most likely have to add the wiring.

And yes, if you add it, you should have rain sensing wipers afterwards. Might require your GM to be recoded.

·
Registered
3 Posts
An 03 should have an RLS if it came with a rain sensor at all. If he somehow doesn't have one, then he'll most likely have to add the wiring.

And yes, if you add it, you should have rain sensing wipers afterwards. Might require your GM to be recoded.
Actually mine doesn't have RS nor RLS fitted. German car, the only country where BMW can be delivered with as few options as a Dacia ... Well, this was to say, they order nude cars with custom list of options, that means original buyer could have chosen professionnal navi but not the rain and/or light sensor ...

Anyways, is the wiring complicated to retrofit? Somebody knows which way the wiring should take and where it plugs?

·
Registered
284 Posts
It's 4 wires.

Pin 1 = Terminal R (Live with ignition position 1) - from the factory it comes off of X1443

Pin 2 = Ground - from the factory it would go to X10012

Pin 3 = K-bus. Goes to X10016

Pin 4 = X332 Pin 20

You could probably come up with simpler wiring if you wanted.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Constantly flashing any light source reduces its lifespan - HID or otherwise. With HID, the concern is really with the ignitor. Modern bulbs, ballasts and ignitors are designed for hot restrikes. Only the very old and most aftermarket equipment should actually show this concern.

Further, automatic headlight systems, even those on vehicles with tungsten-halogen bulb sets, have a delay built in and usually an adjustable sensitivity setting to minimize needless cycling.

In short, it's really not an concern.

Do you mean that we can make the light sensor can be more sensitive to light much better and avoid delay

·
Registered
15 Posts
I don't think my car is prewired either...

terraphantm can you provide more details for making connections?
It's hard to tell from those pictures which lin goes where.

I'm wondering what's the latest body control module that can be installed, LCM IV?

·
Registered
284 Posts
I don't think my car is prewired either...

terraphantm can you provide more details for making connections?
It's hard to tell from those pictures which lin goes where.

I'm wondering what's the latest body control module that can be installed, LCM IV?
I don't have any better pictures unfortunately.

You probably don't have to follow the factory wiring 100%. If the car has a sunroof, you can grab power and ground from the sunroof module itself. Then you need to run a wire to the K-bus (doesn't seem like there's any convenient modules to tap in that area), and also a wire directly to the GM3 module.

Latest LCM you can install is LCMIV C24. Generally speaking, you can always install a newer module than what your car came with.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I don't have any better pictures unfortunately.

You probably don't have to follow the factory wiring 100%. If the car has a sunroof, you can grab power and ground from the sunroof module itself. Then you need to run a wire to the K-bus (doesn't seem like there's any convenient modules to tap in that area), and also a wire directly to the GM3 module.

Latest LCM you can install is LCMIV C24. Generally speaking, you can always install a newer module than what your car came with.
is LCM 4 can do the same function like LCM 3B with the auto light?

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yes, LCM4 can do everything an LCM3B can and then some.
I had an auto light retrofit everything working fine except the manual leveling
And I am sad so am looking to get lcm4 to make everything working properly

·
Registered
15 Posts
Where's this C24 number from?
All the LCM4s I find on Ebay etc, they have HW version and SW version.
No mention of C24 or anything like this

21 - 40 of 45 Posts