BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello Guys I have ordered a set of real e34 m5 M-pars I have added some pics as you can see theressome work needed around the centers and some curbrash. How would you guys go about restoring these from what I read the e34 m5 m-pars where not painted is that correct?

Attachments

·
10,445 Posts
e34 m parallels were painted silver like most bmw alloys. Later e38 M parallels had a machined finish.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Hi,

I might be wrong but looks like this M paras
are staggered set looking at the picture.

The OEM paras for E34M5 are non staggered
or may be they are.?

The E38 is nice and wide.

Regards,
Anri

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hey guys these are 8x18 et20 and 9x18 et22 so how would you go about restoring is there a matching paint i can buy?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I wouldn't really recommend it. I've done exactly this; I sanded down and repainted the mpars from my previous e39. I removed the original finish, sanded, primed, painted with wheel-specific paint, and clearcoated - overall it took probably 10+ hours of labor - and within 6 months they looked terrible. After that I had them professionally powdercoated; it was around $125 per wheel and they looked SO much better, and the finish was permanent. So that would be my suggestion.

·
10,445 Posts
e34 M par's are staggered, 8" front and 9" rear, but they run the same 245/40-18 tire front and rear.

Hi,

I might be wrong but looks like this M paras
are staggered set looking at the picture.

The OEM paras for E34M5 are non staggered
or may be they are.?

The E38 is nice and wide.

Regards,
Anri

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thx for the replies guys does anyone know the exact color of these rims ? I heard it might be Felgensilber met.

·
Registered
906 Posts
e34 M par's are staggered, 8" front and 9" rear, but they run the same 245/40-18 tire front and rear.

Mike,

Correct, and were my confusion came from.
Many years ago I sow 95 3,8 at Ed's shop and all I
remember it was a Square something...The 245 40 18
as you reminded me with your reply. Using 245 on
8J and the same 245 on 9J is very very weird choice
of matching tire size to wheel wight.

8/9.5 from E38 job done.

Regards,
Anri

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well I found someone to powdercoat them cheap so thats done qone last question regarding tires I ordered 245 40 18 for all sides I have a 1990 3.6 liter stock suspension there wont be any clearence issues right?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Did you discuss powder coating temps with the wheel guys? Some powder coat jobs temperatures change the strength of alloy wheels to the very bad. Powder coat runs 125 a wheel, but beware if running them hard. Ive seen them fail and it was always excessive heat during the powder coat process.. ill never use a powder coated wheel for performance related adventures. Seen too many fail at the edge of the envelope.

·
Registered
395 Posts
There should be no issues with clearance.

I have genuine E34 M5 M-Pars wrapped in the aforementioned 245/40/r18 on my 3.6, no issues.

·
Registered
395 Posts
My apologies, I must be going senile, washing the car on the weekend and I thought to myself, those rears look a bit larger than expected.. I have 265/35/r18 on the rears.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts