BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sup brahs. I'm at a bit of a crossroads right now. Currently driving a 92 mtech vert with a 5 speed swap. I love the car but to get it where it needs to be, I'd have to have quite a bit of body work done as well as interior (dash is cracked and seats are even worse). At that point I'd still be running the stock M20 with 141k which I'd probably want to rip out for something better. Currently making roughly $80k a year, working around 60 hrs a week and living with the parents until I save for a house/the girlfriend wants to move out. I figure to get the car where I want it to be will cost at least 7-8k, or I could just cut my losses and get something else (the E39 M5 quickly comes to mind)

Thoughts?

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
The E30 even once done wont be worth anywhere near the money you put into it

The M5 will be worth in a year a good fraction of whatever you pay for it now. I would do the M5 hands down. Thats something to consider

But I'd probably drive the E30 at least until you get the house situation figured out. The M5 or these upgrades you are talking about could go towards the house (maybe I am misunderstanding, if they are critical repairs, different situation). There will always be E39 M5's for sale, now is a great time to buy a house though. Would be a shame to get an M5 which delays your purchase of a house past the time when these interest rates are so crazy low.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
There will always be E39 M5's for sale, now is a great time to buy a house though. Would be a shame to get an M5 which delays your purchase of a house past the time when these interest rates are so crazy low.
I could not agree more to this statement.

I would not look into spending a good chunk of change without planning on buying a house first. Once you settle in and figure out your finances, then you can get a better assessment of how much you have available for a car amongst other things. Dumping money into a car before a house or moving out could delay moving out, which would be a bad thing.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I think that you should sell off your E30 and buy an M5. The only reason is that your E30 will not gain the value like E30 M3s do over the time and will continue to lose value.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Owning both an e30 and an m5

for daily transport the m5 wins easily... only downside is fuel and maintenance.

if you can do your own maintenance the M5 is an easy choice.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The E30 even once done wont be worth anywhere near the money you put into it

The M5 will be worth in a year a good fraction of whatever you pay for it now. I would do the M5 hands down. Thats something to consider

But I'd probably drive the E30 at least until you get the house situation figured out. The M5 or these upgrades you are talking about could go towards the house (maybe I am misunderstanding, if they are critical repairs, different situation). There will always be E39 M5's for sale, now is a great time to buy a house though. Would be a shame to get an M5 which delays your purchase of a house past the time when these interest rates are so crazy low.
That's the thing about the E30, the repairs aren't necessarily critical to it being driven, but if I'm going to keep it, I'd want them done ASAP because I simply can't take it anymore. Lots of creaks and rattles, the convertible decklid is seriously dented due to it flipping up on the highway (it had an electric roof that broke, so i tied it down with string and that snapped), interior is seriously beat, just a lot of frustrating little issues that have added up. It was something I wished to work on on the weekends but it seems something constantly comes up, whether it's a boss's birthday, spending time with the lady, or simply running errands that i don't have time to do during the week.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Making $80k/year and living with parents makes an E39 M5 very affordable. Making $80k/year and paying a mortgage is a whole different story. If you are working 60 hours per week, will you have time to work on the M5 yourself? If not, you will be pay someone else a lot of money for very doable DIY repairs and maintenance. Either stay with your parents a bit longer and save up even more money, or go with a different, but less expensive fun car is my vote.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Do you like the girlfriend? This will change the options. If you don't like her, stay at your parent's, don't spend a dime on her or a car until she bails. Then move into a nice place, and buy an e39 M5. If you do like her, go ahead and move into a nice place and get an e39 M5. If she's acting grumpy at the new place, mod the **** out of the M5 until she bails. Then you end up single, but have a nice place and a nice M5, and other girls might dig that.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Do you like the girlfriend? This will change the options. If you don't like her, stay at your parent's, don't spend a dime on her or a car until she bails. Then move into a nice place, and buy an e39 M5. If you do like her, go ahead and move into a nice place and get an e39 M5. If she's acting grumpy at the new place, mod the **** out of the M5 until she bails. Then you end up single, but have a nice place and a nice M5, and other girls might dig that.
Best answer by far!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
lmao

I like the girlfriend a great deal. She's just graduating now though, so we probably wouldn't look to move out together until Jan/Feb at the very earliest.

·
Registered
72 Posts
i was in the same boat as you, except my M5 is my first BMW. I had already moved out of the parental units house, living with my son and then GF, till things change, i make a good amount of money for myself, my son and my M5. Super reliable, great ride, everything that a BMW should be. I wasn't really planning on modding the M but i caught the bug and threw on the SS X-pipe and Dinan cans, makes me feel 16 again when i was driving my 69 SS on the daily in high school (I'm 27 now, still have the Chevy btw)

·
Registered
58 Posts
You can always do both, it just takes time and patience.
I've been working on my e30 M3 for at least two years now, bought a house back in October and now I have the m3 and m5 as garage queens,while I finish my MBA. Can't wait for December to roll by and be done with school.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts