BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having the resonators removed next week and replaced with straight pipe.

Had a look under the car today and am confused.

Are the resonators about half way along the car before the X pipe? Between the headers and x pipe in other words?

They look like cats!

Also, what is the standard pipe size?

Tim.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Has anyone got pics?

What I saw was what looked like cats (but maybe the resonators) about half way down the car. They had heat shielding on them.

Then there was the x pipe with heat shielding around it.

Then there was more heat shielding around the pipes as they go around the cooling fins for the diff.

Then there were the rear mufflers/silencers.

So are the first things I mention cats or resonators?

·
Company Representative of RPI Power
3,394 Posts
Wow. Very disappointing!

What is the size of the standard pipe?

Once my warranty expires I will be straight on to an RPI system and looking forward to be the first in Australia with it (I think!).
Though the OE crossover section is pinched and frankly, looks pretty bad, the actual functionality isn't too horrible. It actually (surprisingly) outperforms some mandrel designs. We tossed out a whole bunch of designs when we were dyno testing our section 2 prototypes.

The size of the standard pipe varies a bit depending on where you're measuring, but it's in the 60-65mm range.

Let us know when you decide on getting an RPi system. Here in the US, we've yet to have a customer have his warranty voided simply from changing the exhaust sections.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well the car went to the shop (GT Auto Garage at Newmarket) last Thursday to get the resonator delete done.

The boys did a great job and I am very happy with the result.

The noise from the exhaust now is very different to what I expected it to be. I thought it would be the same tone just a little louder. What I got instead was a different tone altogether. You can't really tell from the videos, but the exhaust now has a wail to it. It is no Ferrari or F1 car - but the exhaust note now has the typical V10 wail which I really like.

The only issue I have is that the mufflers and tips seem to now sit about 1/2 inch lower than previously. Is there some adjustment that can be done to fix this?
YouTube - IMG 0396
YouTube - IMG 0390

Attachments

·
Registered
258 Posts
yes, when i had straight pipes done, right before the actual welding they asked me if it looked right. it hung a little lower as well. i had them fix it before they even started to weld.

·
Company Representative of RPI Power
3,394 Posts
So you think it is from the straight pipes being welded into place?
Yes. It's from the straight pipes being welded into mis-place.

They should have cut the old resonator out, put the new pipes in place, tack welded it, asked you how the positioning was, repositioned if necessary, then finished up the welding.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
^^^ That's how we did it - but the rear bumper was not on at the time because it was being re-painted.

We took the entire exhaust off - tacked the straight pipes into place - put it back on the car. Put the bumper on to check - took bumper off and then took exhaust off again to weld.

Bugger - i will have to get them to cut it again and re-weld it.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts