BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had the resonator removed this morning at a local shop that specializes in stainless steel welding and does exhaust systems for motorcycles as well. The sound is great. Slightly louder with a bit more throaty sound on acceleration. Here are the photos of the before after.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
AbruzziBoy said:
I had the resonator removed this morning at a local shop that specializes in stainless steel welding and does exhaust systems for motorcycles as well. The sound is great. Slightly louder with a bit more throatier sound on acceleration. Here are the photos of the before after.
which shop in southern california did the work?

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gerry Glover at Higgins Muffler & Brake in Santa Barbara. He's a wizard with SS and the whole job was only $200. His welds look better than the original factory welds.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Looks great - very clean. The key thing is they maintainted the 'H' connection between the two pipes upstream of the resonator. My guy here has 17 years of experience in developing racing exhaust systems, and says the 'H' connection between the two pipes is important in terms of torque at lower rpm.

I love the sound of the exhaust, and I'm scheduled to dyno on the 23rd, so I'll post those results. I don't expect much increase, and if you mess with the exhaust too much you can lose low end torque - so we'll see what removing the resonator does. Probably not much in terms of overall HP, but the sound...hiha

·
Registered
703 Posts
yes, the "H" connection between the two pipes is actually called a bypass, I would be curious to see the before and after pass on a dyno to see if it affect the low end torque, after all the bypass pipes are supposedly made to help low end torque, and we all know the E60 M5 cannot afford to loose any.

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Any performance benefits? What is the effect on the warranty?

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I got two diferent statements, one from a BMW salesman and one from a BMW mechanic. Thay both said that any mod done to the exhaust behind the "cats" won't affect the warranty. My mechanic being skeptical, did some research on the resonator removal. He was surprised to discover that there is a very slight performance gain as well as the improved exhaust note. Looking forward to reading about the dyno results from Wolverine.

·
Registered
344 Posts
resonator replacement

Hi Wolverine,

I got the SS Xpipes and need to get the job done but I need to know exactly how the job should be done to tell the shop who is going to do the welding. Does the exhaust system need to be taken down or is it just a question of cutting and welding?

Thank you.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
kaninja99 said:
Hi Wolverine,

I got the SS Xpipes and need to get the job done but I need to know exactly how the job should be done to tell the shop who is going to do the welding. Does the exhaust system need to be taken down or is it just a question of cutting and welding?

Thank you.
I can't tell you exactly how the job was done, since I wasn't there, and didn't ask in great detail. I believe they dropped the system off the hangers, and that was enough to cut and weld. I would let them take a look at it, and see what they say.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
JG said:
Links to sound clips on that thread do not work.
Try this link:

http://savefile.com/projects/1054563

It takes a little while, but you can download both files, and play them side-by-side, one at a time. Each file starts at idle, then gradually increases the rev's up to maximum. The last 10 seconds are throttle blips. You will get a pretty good idea of the relative sound of the resonator-off vs stock.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Wolverine.. I just want to get my facts straight, you still have the OEM exhaust installed, and all that was removed was the resonator?

I'm also planning on removing the resonator, as part of staged approach in upgrading my exhuast system.

-Noah

1 - 20 of 33 Posts