BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is a long shot and yes, I did search, but has anyone experienced a rattle, more like a cracking noise in the the rear driver door or B pillar? It is driving me nuts and getting worse. Mostly happens when the body is flexing, i.e., when accelerating and braking, as well as over uneven surfaces. thanks,
Richard

·
Registered
331 Posts
kwaobus said:
I know this is a long shot and yes, I did search, but has anyone experienced a rattle, more like a cracking noise in the the rear driver door or B pillar? It is driving me nuts and getting worse. Mostly happens when the body is flexing, i.e., when accelerating and braking, as well as over uneven surfaces. thanks,
Richard

sounds like the door seals. Its a known problem and they need to lubricate the seals. Very easy fix. Has happened twice on my 2006 M5.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
which seals are you refering to specifically? The soft rubber seals around the door or the hard fuzzy seals on the top of the doors? The noise sounds very much like a plastic part that is rubbnig against something and not so much as a rubber seal that is dry as far as I can tell. How/at what ponits did they end up lubricating yours? What type of noise were you hearing if you could describe it? Thanks.

·
Registered
331 Posts
kwaobus said:
which seals are you refering to specifically? The soft rubber seals around the door or the hard fuzzy seals on the top of the doors? The noise sounds very much like a plastic part that is rubbnig against something and not so much as a rubber seal that is dry as far as I can tell. How/at what ponits did they end up lubricating yours? What type of noise were you hearing if you could describe it? Thanks.

not exactly sure which seals or where they tend to fail, but the sound is very much like a hard rattle..like a hard part hitting/rubbing against something hard. A rattle/squeak that occurs exactly how you describe- over rough surfaces and during accel. and braking.. again more like a hard part rattle.

I got my car in september of 05 and it happened within several months. After they fixed it it was completely gone, but it appeared again recently.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok, that must be the same then from your description. Excited that this may be possible to be solved without taking the door apart. Did they tell you excatly what they did so I can tell my dealer to to the exact same?

·
Registered
331 Posts
BostonRocket said:
Same problem on all of my past BMWs. They just need to lube the rubber seals. I think they use silicone spray.

'Rocket

exactly what I was told by my service tech- that this is a problem on all bmw models and that they just spray the seals.

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
Everyone should spray all the door, trunk,and hood seals yearly with silicone spray...a good soak

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
After my tint job, the car was creaking when backing out of my driveway and over uneven surfaces. I thought it was the damn tint against the top of the doors, squeeking away at the tint. Here's the solution to my specific prob (maybe yours too?)

After I parked the car and made sure all the doors were closed, I push each door (hands on the glass) to hear any sounds. Found out that the RR door made a creaking sound the others did not. I took some Meguiar's quick spray stuff and polished the door jamb around the top and parts of the body that the outer door seal actually touches against. That solved the creaking. It was the outer rubber seals that were rubbing and squeeking against the body. Guess the window cleaner the tint guy sprayed is very squeeky.

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
I find the creaking especially bad on very cold days. This noise really demonstrates the amount of flex cars experience on an everyday basis.

'Rocket

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Has anyone else found a successful solution to this problem? Mine started doing this last week and has gotten worse to the point I can no longer stand it!

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Has anyone else found a successful solution to this problem? Mine started doing this last week and has gotten worse to the point I can no longer stand it!
Just fixed mine las night. Get yourself some Vinylex and allply it on a paper towel. Open the door in question and along the OUTER rubber seal (the flat piece that presses against the roof rail when door in closed) and run it across there. It is the rubber seal that has that velvet like texture on the inside and rubber facing the outside. Believe it or not, even the velvet like material on metal causes squeeking.

Do this test; with the windows closed and the doors shut, push on the door (hands on glass). You will hear the creaking.

Also check the four door sills (the shiny part that says "M5" on the door jamb). One of mine was creakinging badly. I applied a little WD-40 on the rubber edge to make it go away.

·
Registered
316 Posts
What are the brand(s) of silicone spray you would recommend? Vinylex, I can't find that anywhere... And where ya bought it would help lots... thanks.

·
Moderator Emeritus
916 Posts
I had the same problem with the creaking when I was pulling onto my drive (full lock, driving slowly, slight incline). I'm not sure if you have the split folding rear seats but mine was coming from the contact between the seat back on the frame around them. I folded them down and applied a thin smothering of vaseline/silicon grease to the plastic face that the seat backs press against and i've not heard it since.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts