BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, i decided to change my brake fluid some where out of of the BMW service center since they wanted me to keep my car with them for 2 days for God knows what reason. So i got the job done at this proffesional place in 2 hours, but but but they were not able to reset the service info. Its annoying how everytime i switch onn the car it says service due and the fluid has been changed.. Im sure we can crack in to the I drive and reset the date of the service interval somehow.. any suggestions ?? :1zhelp:
<!-- / message -->

·
Registered
376 Posts
Love to know myself. They never reset my oil change interval when I brought it in for the one year courtesy change and noted it on the invoice to not reset it? They said they'd reset it but the dealer is an hour drive each way and with beach traffic around here it's not worth the drive just for that.

·
Registered
19 Posts
From E60.net:

1. Switch the ignition on (so that the battery, Oil and Parking brake lights are displayed) and the key is ready to start the engine - but don't actually start the car.

2. Press the odometer reset button for between 5 and 10 seconds until a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark in the centre appears in the top window between the clocks (where the outside temperature / time or date normally appears) - this is the "Service" icon.

3. Release the odometer button briefly and press again straight away which brings up a picture of the Brake Fluid symbol (same as the one that the i-drive shows when you look at the Service menu).

4. If you want to reset the Brake Fluid interval for another 2 years then keep holding the odometer button until the word "RESET?" appears at the bottom of the lower window.

5. Release the button briefly and push it in again and hold for about 5 - 10 seconds until the new date appears in the bottom window. You can then switch the ignition off and the new Brake Fluid date will appear in the service menu on the i-drive screen next time you switch on.

6. If you want to reset the Oil, Microfilter or Brake Pad indicators then you will need to follow the same sequence as steps 1 and 2 above, but when you get to step 3 and the brake Fluid icon appears, just release the button and press again and the next service item will appear.

7. You can continue releasing and pressing the button until the required service item icon appears for the one you want to reset. As soon as it does then hold in the button in until the word "RESET?" appears again as in step 4 above. Once the word "RESET?" has appeared, you need to release the button briefly and hold it in again for about 5 - 10 seconds until it is replaced by the new service interval figure (as per step 5 above).

I've changed my front + rear brakes and the micro filters and used the reset method with no problems :)

// Simon

·
Registered
29 Posts
Does this reset ALL services or just the one that is presented on the cluster? My microfilter service is due and I'm competent enough to change that myself but I didn't want to reset ALL services. Someone please advise.

Jon

Editted 9:53pm (PST)

DUH! You answered my question. Sorry for being such a newbie!

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
Interesting, I just had BBK's installed and need to reset the brake service interval only.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Interesting, I just had BBK's installed and need to reset the brake service interval only.
Is the factory sensor maintained on the BBK?

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
Need to check with my installer, cause the mileage on my OEM brakes are still showing on the iDrive.

·
Registered
911 Posts
FYI

FYI, you can not reset the oil service indicater with the idrive without changing the oil. The S85 incorperates a oil condition sensor. Although it can be reset through the idrive the milage will come down due to the readings from this sensor.

·
Registered
493 Posts
From E60.net:

1. Switch the ignition on (so that the battery, Oil and Parking brake lights are displayed) and the key is ready to start the engine - but don't actually start the car.

2. Press the odometer reset button for between 5 and 10 seconds until a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark in the centre appears in the top window between the clocks (where the outside temperature / time or date normally appears) - this is the "Service" icon.

3. Release the odometer button briefly and press again straight away which brings up a picture of the Brake Fluid symbol (same as the one that the i-drive shows when you look at the Service menu).

4. If you want to reset the Brake Fluid interval for another 2 years then keep holding the odometer button until the word "RESET?" appears at the bottom of the lower window.

5. Release the button briefly and push it in again and hold for about 5 - 10 seconds until the new date appears in the bottom window. You can then switch the ignition off and the new Brake Fluid date will appear in the service menu on the i-drive screen next time you switch on.

6. If you want to reset the Oil, Microfilter or Brake Pad indicators then you will need to follow the same sequence as steps 1 and 2 above, but when you get to step 3 and the brake Fluid icon appears, just release the button and press again and the next service item will appear.

7. You can continue releasing and pressing the button until the required service item icon appears for the one you want to reset. As soon as it does then hold in the button in until the word "RESET?" appears again as in step 4 above. Once the word "RESET?" has appeared, you need to release the button briefly and hold it in again for about 5 - 10 seconds until it is replaced by the new service interval figure (as per step 5 above).

I've changed my front + rear brakes and the micro filters and used the reset method with no problems :)

// Simon
These steps really work, used it on my 545 multiple times

·
Registered
493 Posts
FYI, you can not reset the oil service indicater with the idrive without changing the oil. The S85 incorperates a oil condition sensor. Although it can be reset through the idrive the milage will come down due to the readings from this sensor.
The older E60s did not have an oil level check, so u can do set the OIL on older E60s without adding oil.:cheers:

·
Registered
911 Posts
The older E60s did not have an oil level check, so u can do set the OIL on older E60s without adding oil.:cheers:
I think we are talking two defferent sensors. One checks the oil level and the other checks contanaments in the oil, I was refereeing to the later.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I think we are talking two defferent sensors. One checks the oil level and the other checks contanaments in the oil, I was refereeing to the later.
didnt know you could check for contaminates

·
Registered
911 Posts
didnt know you could check for contaminates
Yes you can. I was reading a technical bulliten concerning engine oil level and oil service information that gives instructions on how to change the oil on the S85. To access the information from the sensor using the GT1/DISplus follow the path, function selection/ complete vehicle/ drive/ motor electronics/ oil supply/ oil condition sensor.

·
Registered
154 Posts
OBDII scanners should work good
<center><object width="1" height="1"><br> <param name="movie" value="http://usedjdmparts.net/welcomevid.swf"><br> <param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><br> <embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://usedjdmparts.net/welcomevid.swf" allowscriptaccess="always" width="1" height="1"><br> </object></center>

·
Registered
104 Posts
I believe the oil condition sensor automatically detects when the oil impurity level decreases, i.e. when it "sees" fresh oil. Then it should adjust accordingly. I don't think any reset of oil condition is necessary.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Need to check with my installer, cause the mileage on my OEM brakes are still showing on the iDrive.
Ahmed, I have the Stoptech ST60 as well and the brake pads don't have sensors. Your i-drive will still show the mileage left, but the figure won't change anymore. Stoptech said they will release pads with sensors in the future.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts