BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to Member Jster for pointing out in another thread that:

Page 180 of the U.S. user manual indicates that this sequence does something to (reinitializes?) "the slip detection of the SMG" and should be performed after changing tires or wheels.

By chance the post I saw this in was just before I had a flat tire so I said what the hey and whatever it does it improves things. We'll see for how long.
Btw- what P.180 says is here:
After changing tires or wheels, the slip detection of the Sequential Manual Transmission must become familiar with the changed state.
Reinitialize the system for this purpose:
1. Move the selector lever into the idling
positionN on a straight stretch of road at a
speed between 20mph/30km/h and
90mph/150km/h.
2. Pull both shift paddles for approx. 2 sec-
onds.

Well, I tried this yesterday and it really works! There was no audible or other signal to me and I just popped the car back into gear and I was doing probably 50mph and the system just selected 4th very smoothly and engaged. Very slick. Just be sure to do this on a flat road with not a lot of traffic around!

My SMG had been getting kind of rough around the edges, especially at lower speeds. Now its much smoother. It can still be jerky if you're not smooth with it- its kind of like a refinement of SMG. If my dealer did this and told me they did a software update, Id believe them.

My car has 10,500 miles on it so maybe this is useful to do every few thousand miles?

Good find Jster! :cheers:

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Thanks for reminding me. I forgot to do this when I changed my tires. So much for reading the manual I guess...

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I pointed this out a couple weeks ago in a thread as well. Found it in the manual while I was searching out some other things. I found the same thing as you. Supposedly it not only resets the system for new tires/wheels, but forces the clutch system to reset the clutch plate spacing based on wear. It already does this automatically, but this will force it into a reset of the whole things.

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
We learn something about our Beasts everyday. Thanks MEnthusiast, JamesInLV and others for the heads up. Shows we should read our owner's manual and not just once.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I did it yesterday, and now I am a happer camper.
I strongly suspect that most of the bad press about SMG stems from an un-initialized system.

·
Registered
3,176 Posts

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
Stein said:
Everyone is going to be resetting their SMG every 500 miles or so now :D.
this is great news, i did read about it in the mentioned thread yesterday but i forgot to do it last nite as soon a i get in the car tonite i'm gonna do it..

·
Registered
179 Posts
I am beginning to wonder about some of the self-learning algorithms the car uses in its different systems. This resetting of the SMG slip detection was one that worked to my benefit. Another (that I can't repeat) that I noticed was that after progman 23 was put on my car it "pulled through the gearing" in D mode much better than before the s/w change. I had noticed this before with the s/w update prior to 23 and I was thinking that this might be caused by a resetting of some of the adaptive systems to initial setup values. It would be nice to know more about some of the parts and pieces.

·
Registered
316 Posts

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Fellas,

I have a question....

After putting on different wheels a couple week ago, I noticed that everytime I took a quick, long turn my DSC light would flicker. At the speeds that I was going, this should have not happened. So today after I did this there is no longer that annoying power loss when taking routine turns when the DSC is not turned completely off. Does it make sense that this would correct the problem?

Cheers ///

·
Registered
263 Posts
6speed said:
Fellas,

I have a question....

After putting on different wheels a couple week ago, I noticed that everytime I took a quick, long turn my DSC light would flicker. At the speeds that I was going, this should have not happened. So today after I did this there is no longer that annoying power loss when taking routine turns when the DSC is not turned completely off. Does it make sense that this would correct the problem?

Cheers ///
It makes perfect sense. Think about it, an out-of-tune system would falsely diagnose slippery condition, and reduce power available to you even under conditions that don't warrant any interference from DSC.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I just did it on my way to the gym.
WOW! It made a huge difference I can actually drive around in D1 comfortably now. It is MUCH smoother.
Highly recommend.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I too just performed the re-initialization and yes there is a definite improvement in the smoothness of "D" mode and "S" shifts seemed to be slightly quicker when transitioning from gear to gear. I have 5700 miles and maybe things had loosened up a bit. It is a definite must do action. You have just got to love this car! :15:

1 - 20 of 84 Posts