BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my driver's side mirror replaced because it was knocked off in a hit and run grrrrrrr. After having it replaced, the photochromatic (auto-dimming) function worked, but the auto-folding of the mirrors was out of sync. I had the wiring fixed by an indy, and now they fold in sync. However, the auto-dimming no longer works :( . I'm positive the wire that sends the dimming information to the mirror must be in the wrong spot or disconnected, but I don't know how the wiring works in there. Does anyone have details on this?

Thanks!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I know someone knows--just need the right person to see the post! Thanks again.

·
Registered
223 Posts
There are 4 leads on the mirror glass itself. 2 are for dimming, and 2 are for heating. One pair of these are spade type connections, the other pair comes off the mirror and plugs into a connector in the housing. I'd guess it would be easier to check these 1st. You just need to know the trick on how to get the mirror glass out.

If you look under/behind The bottom edge of the mirror (tilt it up 1st), you will see a black plastic tab with a little notch. Use something to slide that tab to the right, and the mirror glass should release. Beware that even with the tab moved over, you might have to defeat the adhesive, so pry gently - preferably in a heated or warm area. There is a write up around here somewhere - I used it to replace my mirror glass because the defroster had quit.

This can be done in about 1 minute, if you've done it before, so it might be good to start with this before digging inside the door.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks. I don't think my mirror has heating though (are they all supposed to?). I'll look around on the form for a guide, but I should be able to do it with your instructions.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts