BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an '02 e39 M5 that I bought used a couple of years ago, and my father-in-law has an '07 M5 that he special ordered, but I've never actually bought or talked to someone who bought a new non-M from a BMW dealership.

What can/should he be paying in relation to sticker or dealer cost? Seems to me like the market is soft right now, and my sense is that a 550 is tweaner car for which the demand may not be that great (although that's just a guess). Any difference if the car is already on the lot vs. a special order? And to what extent is it worth buying from the dealership where you'd take the car to be serviced?

I've bought new Accords where you simply get dealer cost from Consumer Reports, offer $500 over, and walk out with it. And I obviously shopped quite a bit for the private party deal on my M5. But didn't know if the same rules applied to standard BMWs as Hondas.

Thanks for the help.

John

·
Registered
694 Posts
I am not sure why one would get the 550, as the 535 is just as fast....and way cheaper (then with a flash can be even quicker). Here in Socal either one can be had at 1000 over invoice, probably even less.

I've got an '02 e39 M5 that I bought used a couple of years ago, and my father-in-law has an '07 M5 that he special ordered, but I've never actually bought or talked to someone who bought a new non-M from a BMW dealership.

What can/should he be paying in relation to sticker or dealer cost? Seems to me like the market is soft right now, and my sense is that a 550 is tweaner car for which the demand may not be that great (although that's just a guess). Any difference if the car is already on the lot vs. a special order? And to what extent is it worth buying from the dealership where you'd take the car to be serviced?

I've bought new Accords where you simply get dealer cost from Consumer Reports, offer $500 over, and walk out with it. And I obviously shopped quite a bit for the private party deal on my M5. But didn't know if the same rules applied to standard BMWs as Hondas.

Thanks for the help.

John

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
+1

i had a 535 a couple of weeks ago as a loaner and it was a blast !!

for the $$ diff its a no brainer !!

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
+1

i had a 535 a couple of weeks ago as a loaner and it was a blast !!

for the $$ diff its a no brainer !!
how did it feel once u were behind the M again? :)

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
John, the general thing with BMWs is that the MSRP represents an 8% total profit from true invoice for the dealership. Most dealers will drop 7% from MSRP if you really push, leaving that 1% to cover transaction costs.

If you are truly considering a 550i, I have to agree with a couple others. The 535i engine is incredible, and with just a plug-in module (basically an ECU tuning module) you can get 550i performance if not faster! A loaded 535i with a few aftermarket components is a seriously strong machine.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the posts

Very helpful. I'll pass the information along.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts