BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to the advice of some of you on here, I reprogrammed my M button to use D5 P500S MDM and wow, its much quicker to get into the right gear if someone tries to sneak up on you!!! Its like BAM!! It gets into the lowest gear and just rips it while making perfect redline shifts! I love it! And once you shift with the paddles it stays in S5 P500S MDM and thats just perfect too!

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
What? You can program the M button?

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Hmm... D over S huh? I'll have to try that.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmm... D over S huh? I'll have to try that.
Thats what I said too when I first heard of this. Then I tried it and wow, it makes a straight shift from 7th to 4th or 3rd in a blink!!! Quicker than if you hit the paddles 3-4x times for sure! Try it! You'll like it, I'm sure!

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Yeah, this is why I sometimes cruise on the freeway in D5 (I'm always in P500).

However, I still like S5 for M mode because even in D3 it will usually shift within 1 gear of the lowest gear possible, so it's just one paddle click once I enter M mode.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
I am always in S6 DSC off unless it is raining....but interesting about shifting to the lowest possible gear!

·
Registered
917 Posts
Practice makes perfect. I always drive in S6 P500S DSC Off. The trick I use to shift are that I used to always downshift three times and it usually would be lowest (I almost never drive in 7th gear even on highways). Now, I can tell from the sound of engine, how many times I need to click to get in the right gear (which to me is anything with rpm > 5K).

The interesting thing about driving in lower gears to begin with is that no one sneaks up on you and if a lost soul does, your downshifting to 2nd or 3rd forces them to change their mind in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
321 Posts
The interesting thing about driving in lower gears to begin with is that no one sneaks up on you and if a lost soul does, your downshifting to 2nd or 3rd forces them to change their mind in a heartbeat.
+1

going from 7th gear to 2nd or 3rd gear with the paddles is one of the highnotes of this car. You feel the SMG in you spine going over gears , the rear wheels pin down a bit, and the tone of the car changes from DEFCON 5 to DEFCON 1 , everyone who tries to sneak up knows war is imminent ....

·
Registered
992 Posts
interesting... I tried it today and it looked like it shifted from 2nd to 3rd at 8500rpm!

I much prefer leaving it in S5.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I actually enjoyed it on D5 today. Don't mash the pedal and it shifts around 4K RPMs and smoothly. Mash the pedal and it flies up to 8K or so before it shifts. I'll keep playing around with it for a few days and see if it's worth changing permanently :)

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Thanks to the advice of some of you on here, I reprogrammed my M button to use D5 P500S MDM and wow, its much quicker to get into the right gear if someone tries to sneak up on you!!! Its like BAM!! It gets into the lowest gear and just rips it while making perfect redline shifts! I love it! And once you shift with the paddles it stays in S5 P500S MDM and thats just perfect too!
I reprogrammed the M button today to use D5 P500S MDM, and I liked the old setting better - S6 P500S DSC off.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Tried reprogramming my M button to P500S D5 MDM and wow...it's pretty sweet. It's like my M button is now a NOS button. Cruising along in 7th, hit the M button and all this power just rushes in and you're instantaneously in 2nd gear tearing up the road. Fan of of this new setting.

Reactions: E60_M5

·
Registered
325 Posts
Critics knocked the programmability/complexity of the beast but I can't stop playing with settings even after years with this car.
It's just too much fun ! I think I have tried every combination possible. It's just so cool how the beast transforms from
slow shifting commuter slug to a wannabe F1 car to a NHRA drag racer at the flick of a button. I really hope they maintain
this sort of functionality in the F10.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Tried reprogramming my M button to P500S D5 MDM and wow...it's pretty sweet. It's like my M button is now a NOS button. Cruising along in 7th, hit the M button and all this power just rushes in and you're instantaneously in 2nd gear tearing up the road. Fan of of this new setting.
How do I reprogram M button?

·
Registered
564 Posts
Reactions: Gustav

·
Registered
568 Posts
Mine is S5, 500 sport and MDM and when on the highway or whenever in the mood, I select S6, by deactivating DSC (just to be ready in case of a challenge). At the same time, I tap the shift lever to D mode and select D5 and then I return to S5 or S6 depending on which one I have selected. This way, it is in S mode and when necessary, I quickly tap the lever to D and floor it in D5 which executes a perfect downshift. Once I upshift using paddles, it goes to S5 or S6, whichever the previous mode was.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Practice makes perfect. I always drive in S6 P500S DSC Off. The trick I use to shift are that I used to always downshift three times and it usually would be lowest (I almost never drive in 7th gear even on highways). Now, I can tell from the sound of engine, how many times I need to click to get in the right gear (which to me is anything with rpm > 5K).

LOL! I don't think anyone will be "sneaking" up on you...because the few cars on the road that can hang with the stroker will quickly grab your attention before the "sneak" past...Veyrons, Ultima GTR's, Nobles, Carrera GT's, Enzo's, Lambo Aventador's etc...:hihi: Seriously though I don't think you have too much to worry about...The only production sleeper out there is the new Turbo S...silly fast and very understated. Btw, how is the stroker, running good? What a beast!

·
Registered
146 Posts
I need to do this too

1 - 20 of 29 Posts