looking for the actual tune. Even though I can't get into CAPPL to add the auxinput I can get into the other modules so I think my danten files are current.
Decided I had read enough and went ahead and did the job yesterday. El Cheapo eBay K+DCAN cable over WinKFP running on a Windows VM via my Mac. Took less than 10 minutes, couldn't have been easier. I agree with some of the other posts on here - it could have easily been done without an external power supply as long as your battery is in good shape. I used a second car and jumper cables though, just to be sure.Do you have a regular obd cable or the bimmergeeks cable?
Welcome to the club! Where it really shines is on stop and go traffic. I mostly use it on Drive S2 when cruising and doing errands in high traffic areas. I then use it on Manual mode S7 (dsc off) on back roads.Well I finally did it. I knew about this before I even bought my car. Taking a good running car and possibly killing it always make me hesitate. The WinKFP on one laptop was not working and I'm not savvy enough to fix bugs. So I loaded another laptop successfully. Messed around for quite awhile trying to decide which ZUSB to use 7842206, 08, 10, 12? The post above used 06 so I went with that. It took less than a minute.
I waited the five minutes, went back in with INPA and cleared the code. No problems at all. Driving in auto there is a distinct difference. Driving at p500 with the DSC off at S6 not so much. Close to home I did a launch control test and it revs to 4k. Unfortunately even though I didn't launch the system logged it and would not launch after that, it would just raise the revs from 4-6k and sit there. I guess at least I can say I have it and it burned up some quarantine time.
That was very gutsy to flash DME and SMG with the Bimmergeeks cable and later with KCAN, glad it worked though. ICOM is the way to go for these modules unless you have a proven OBD2/USB cable.Hah! I admit, I was sweating bullets when I did this today.
I had WinKFP all prepped, but I started out with the MSS6X flasher tool. Tried the RSA bypass and soft-bricked the DME.
WinKFP got it back, but it failed a LOT when trying to flash the DME. Maybe it was the BimmerGeeks cable, maybe it was something else. Eventually did the DME flash and the SMG flash with my old KCAN cable ('06 model year car).
It's sitting in the driveway "off" after the flash. The errors went away, and it booted up in D1, so I'm confident it took.
Going on a run to bring home dinner, so SUPER excited to try this out.
View attachment 938553
No worries. I wasn't sure if it tracked perfectly to LCI/model year or not. Figured confirming the presence of DCAN terminals was the most sure-fire way of knowing the "brick" potential.Great summary. Took the liberty to add the LCI and model year references. I'll add to sticky (thought something was in there, maybe not...)
I didn't do the SMG with the BimmerGeeks cable. After I soft-bricked the DME, I got it to flash in WinKFP once with the Bimmergeeks. Then soft-bricked it again like an idiot. After that, I couldn't get the BG cable to do a successful WinKFP flash. Switched to my old KCAN cable, and it worked to reflash the DMA in WinKFP. Also worked to flash the tune only with the MSS6X flasher.That was very gutsy to flash DME and SMG with the Bimmergeeks cable and later with KCAN, glad it worked though. ICOM is the way to go for these modules unless you have a proven OBD2/USB cable.