BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1101 - 1120 of 1125 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
looking for the actual tune. Even though I can't get into CAPPL to add the auxinput I can get into the other modules so I think my danten files are current.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
if you have the E60 SPDaten then just do the import in winkfp that's the only way it'll work in comfort mode. It's a few gig so it makes transferring a bit hard.

If you want to do expert mode the 0da and 0pa could just fall in your lap if you need.

·
Registered
5 Posts
thanks everyone for the helpful posts. I'm trying to make sure I've got all the latest info correct on doing the Euro tune on my own 06 SMG III. The earliest posts all involved downloading and installing individual files from torrents that seem to be hard to find now - Am I correct in assuming that if I have the BMW Coding Tools V3 VM and WinKFP loaded with the latest datens, then all I need to do is flash ZUSB 7842206 in WinKFP, and that's it?

I've already poked around in winKFP and do see this ZB number is already there. I've used WinKFP before to flash my iDrive controller. So is this really all I need to do? Will use a decent power supply too, of course.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Do you have a regular obd cable or the bimmergeeks cable?
Decided I had read enough and went ahead and did the job yesterday. El Cheapo eBay K+DCAN cable over WinKFP running on a Windows VM via my Mac. Took less than 10 minutes, couldn't have been easier. I agree with some of the other posts on here - it could have easily been done without an external power supply as long as your battery is in good shape. I used a second car and jumper cables though, just to be sure.

Spent about 30 minutes total driving since completing the flash. Definitely a different feel. Can't wait until I get a chance to really spend some time behind the wheel to sort out my opinions.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Well I finally did it. I knew about this before I even bought my car. Taking a good running car and possibly killing it always make me hesitate. The WinKFP on one laptop was not working and I'm not savvy enough to fix bugs. So I loaded another laptop successfully. Messed around for quite awhile trying to decide which ZUSB to use 7842206, 08, 10, 12? The post above used 06 so I went with that. It took less than a minute.
I waited the five minutes, went back in with INPA and cleared the code. No problems at all. Driving in auto there is a distinct difference. Driving at p500 with the DSC off at S6 not so much. Close to home I did a launch control test and it revs to 4k. Unfortunately even though I didn't launch the system logged it and would not launch after that, it would just raise the revs from 4-6k and sit there. I guess at least I can say I have it and it burned up some quarantine time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I followed this up with the FAMS tune soon after. I know there’s a bunch of FAMS hate on this board right now, but if you can get this tune, you absolutely should. It’s incredible, particularly in what it does to the SMG. Really gave me the night and day difference I originally expected from the Euro coding.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Well I finally did it. I knew about this before I even bought my car. Taking a good running car and possibly killing it always make me hesitate. The WinKFP on one laptop was not working and I'm not savvy enough to fix bugs. So I loaded another laptop successfully. Messed around for quite awhile trying to decide which ZUSB to use 7842206, 08, 10, 12? The post above used 06 so I went with that. It took less than a minute.
I waited the five minutes, went back in with INPA and cleared the code. No problems at all. Driving in auto there is a distinct difference. Driving at p500 with the DSC off at S6 not so much. Close to home I did a launch control test and it revs to 4k. Unfortunately even though I didn't launch the system logged it and would not launch after that, it would just raise the revs from 4-6k and sit there. I guess at least I can say I have it and it burned up some quarantine time.
Welcome to the club! Where it really shines is on stop and go traffic. I mostly use it on Drive S2 when cruising and doing errands in high traffic areas. I then use it on Manual mode S7 (dsc off) on back roads.

I’ve never messed with the launch control though, haven’t had the need and Im afraid it will cut down the clutch life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Wow! 56 pages, that took me a week and some to get through. I'll re-collect all the info I wish I'd found in one place. Here's the summary of the instructions and details scattered throughout this thread. Please chime in if anything is incorrect:

Prerequisites:
  • WinKFP, set up according to the M3 CSL flash guide PDF ("03winkfp.pdf" attached). You can also set WinKFP up via other guides (such as the one from bmwcoders.com)
    • Instead of the E46 files, you need the E60 SP-Daten files, which need to be sourced from the internet. BimmerGeeks website has a handy link to them.
    • The ZUSB we use in WinKFP for the E60 M5 is 7842206 (latest version Euro).
      • If flashing back to stock, the latest US version is ZUSB 7842208
  • A power supply of some sort, to ensure the car stays between 12.4V and 14.4V during flash. Ideally, 45Amps or greater capability. Some people have gone without, but BMW mandates it (SI B04 11 02, attached), so flash without external power supply at your own risk.
    More information on power supply requirements in attached PDF "Flashing_PS_requirements_excerpt.pdf" (excerpt from BMW's 2008 published PROGMAN instructional guide).
  • An interface to flash through: KCAN, DCAN, or ICOM. SEE BELOW FOR GUIDELINES ON WHICH INTERFACES WILL BRICK WHICH CARS.
Flashing procedure:
As specified in the 03winkfp.pdf guide for the M3 CSL flash. Substitute the E60 SP-Daten files, and use ZUSB 7842206 for the E60 M5 SMG.

Useful notes:

For the flashing interface:
If you have an older 06-07 pre-LCI car (K-CAN only), you can use a "normal" ubiquitous KCAN cable, like everyone sells on ebay for INPA, etc.
If your car is K-CAN only, your OBD port will NOT have any pins populated on terminals 6 or 14.
(terminal/pin numbers should be micro-printed on the plastic if you look closely at the OBDII port on your car)

If you have a LCI 08+ newer car (DCAN), you MUST use a K+D-CAN cable that is flashed with the EdiabasLib firmware. The BimmerGeeks cable is pre-flashed, which is why it works.
Alternatively, an ICOM interface also gets around this issue by avoiding the OBD port ---> CAN bus path completely.
If you have a D-CAN OBDII port, it WILL have pins populated on 6 and 14.

DO NOT USE A K+DCAN CABLE OF UNKNOWN ORIGIN/PROVENANCE ON A LCI 2008+ DCAN CAR. An un-patched cable WILL brick your transmission.

The old "one stop electronics" cables ("normal KCAN" cable referenced above) have a bug in the FTDI chip firmware that causes junk data to be written every 253rd byte.
More detail/info (thanks to terraphantm) can be found in the MSS6X DME flasher thread here: MSS6x Flasher - Now released! - NA M3 Forums

Here are the ZB numbers for the different SMG tunes from BMW:

M5 Euro
7840482 (ver 1)
7841399 (ver 2)
7842206 (ver 3)

M5 US
7840483 (ver 1)
7841402 (ver 2)
7842208 (ver 3)

M6 Euro
7840484 (ver 1)
7841404 (ver 2)
7842210 (ver 3)

M6 US
7840485 (ver 1)
7841408 (ver 2)
7842214 (ver 3)

Attachments

·
2,168 Posts
Great summary. Took the liberty to add the LCI and model year references. I'll add to sticky (thought something was in there, maybe not...)

·
Registered
290 Posts
This is hilarious to me. I literally did this yesterday and also had to spend considerable time reviewing the original Vodyk guide and piecing together updated info.

thanks for posting as it will be useful for others!

I did this flash and also tried out the new MSS65 flashing tool, to remove the cold start routine.

Good first impressions of the Euro SMG tune!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hah! I admit, I was sweating bullets when I did this today.

I had WinKFP all prepped, but I started out with the MSS6X flasher tool. Tried the RSA bypass and soft-bricked the DME.

WinKFP got it back, but it failed a LOT when trying to flash the DME. Maybe it was the BimmerGeeks cable, maybe it was something else. Eventually did the DME flash and the SMG flash with my old KCAN cable ('06 model year car).

It's sitting in the driveway "off" after the flash. The errors went away, and it booted up in D1, so I'm confident it took.

Going on a run to bring home dinner, so SUPER excited to try this out.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Hah! I admit, I was sweating bullets when I did this today.

I had WinKFP all prepped, but I started out with the MSS6X flasher tool. Tried the RSA bypass and soft-bricked the DME.

WinKFP got it back, but it failed a LOT when trying to flash the DME. Maybe it was the BimmerGeeks cable, maybe it was something else. Eventually did the DME flash and the SMG flash with my old KCAN cable ('06 model year car).

It's sitting in the driveway "off" after the flash. The errors went away, and it booted up in D1, so I'm confident it took.

Going on a run to bring home dinner, so SUPER excited to try this out.
View attachment 938553
That was very gutsy to flash DME and SMG with the Bimmergeeks cable and later with KCAN, glad it worked though. ICOM is the way to go for these modules unless you have a proven OBD2/USB cable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Great summary. Took the liberty to add the LCI and model year references. I'll add to sticky (thought something was in there, maybe not...)
No worries. I wasn't sure if it tracked perfectly to LCI/model year or not. Figured confirming the presence of DCAN terminals was the most sure-fire way of knowing the "brick" potential.
There IS some sort of sticky, I think. But the link never worked for me, possibly a page# mismatch due to how many posts per page are configured?
Either way, the summary posts I came across outlined the procedure well, but usually left out the little things like ZUSB#. Or information that came after, like the DCAN bug on FTDI cables.

That was very gutsy to flash DME and SMG with the Bimmergeeks cable and later with KCAN, glad it worked though. ICOM is the way to go for these modules unless you have a proven OBD2/USB cable.
I didn't do the SMG with the BimmerGeeks cable. After I soft-bricked the DME, I got it to flash in WinKFP once with the Bimmergeeks. Then soft-bricked it again like an idiot. After that, I couldn't get the BG cable to do a successful WinKFP flash. Switched to my old KCAN cable, and it worked to reflash the DMA in WinKFP. Also worked to flash the tune only with the MSS6X flasher.

After that, I just used it for the SMG flash as well. I don't have to have the car to get where I'm going, so I'm lucky enough to be able to take those kinds of risks.

1101 - 1120 of 1125 Posts