BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've spent 45 years driving. First car I owned at 18 was a 1965 Triumph TR4a; red with black interior. What a great car for 18 yo guys of that era where you could measure higher testosterone level that IQ level. (Wrapped it around a telephone pole.) Many rides since then. Many performance cars. Current ride: again, red with black interior. But now its a 2008 M5. What a difference 45 years and a little technology brings.

In a phrase ........ love it. Sure you could argue its a bit on the porky side, but sooooo much is shoe-horned into the package ...... so much. I believe I have a feel for the way it must be driven, but haven't really explored the limit. Probably won't very often as this is my daily driver with few place I could wring it out. But it is a joy to drive even around town.

My son (long time bimmer guy that has a 2004 M3) and I drove my car to the Detroit autoshow. At a rest stop in Ohio a MB parked next to us. Definitely one of the performance models, but not an AMG. We walked out at the same time. As we approached the wife said to me "nice car". Instantly that testosterone thing came back .............. the, you know, the "is mine really bigger than yours" thing :) It car went up quite a few point in my book right there.

Ride, handling, acceleration, interior noise, build quality ................. all first rate.

Three knocks: The shifter must go, the nav system went on me this week, and the mileage sucks. Yes, I know, if I wanted mileage I should have purchased a Pious or Hindsight :) But it's getting a UUC short throw the first chance I get. At the dealer this week getting the nav replaced under warranty.

I love the Indy red. The service manager and shop foreman at the dealer said this week they've never seen an Indy red M5 (as we were strolling their lot where ALL of the cars were black).

I think I'll keep it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the M family. Just you wait until the mod bug bites and you see how much better a great car can get.
PLEASE, don't say that too loudly ........... my wife will hear. I just spent ($$$$$) on adding 280hp to my toy and having it painted rosso corsa. If she thinks I'm doing the same to my daily driver, she'll be sharpening the lopping shears in no time.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Welcome my friend, its unbelievable that nearly 6 years after its introduction to the market, there is nothing that even comes close to this car. I hated the multiple transmission and engine failures I endured as part of owning two of these beautiful beasts, I have since come to the conclusion that they are a bargain despite some flaws.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Welcome my friend, its unbelievable that nearly 6 years after its introduction to the market, there is nothing that even comes close to this car. I hated the multiple transmission and engine failures I endured as part of owning two of these beautiful beasts, I have since come to the conclusion that they are a bargain despite some flaws.
What some may not understand is the M5 is still a grouping of mechanical parts. It will always be open to mechanical failure, especially the way the car is operated. Some rides have a higher price of entry either for advanced performance or their opulence. I believe we get both. But, I think we know why we're here . I, for one, know why I'm here and glad to be here.

Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts