BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering whether any of you had any experience in replacing the wood trim in an Alpina/BMW E39. I have decided to replace my "BMW Individual Edelholz Birke Blau" (see below) with original Alpina wood trim. I bought a set on eBay and am currently waiting for the missing shift knob and CD-player lid, which I ordered from Alpina.

Of course I do not want to damage the blue trim when removing it, so if anybody could tell me whether I can just pry the trim pieces out or whether they are affixed in any manner, it would be great. Also, I am not sure how to remove the CD frontloader lid.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Cheers,

Hannes

·
Registered
55 Posts
I don't know about the CD cover but the pieces on the doors and dashboard are simply pushed in to clips so some gentle leverage with a screwdriver or a trim removal tool will have them out in no time.

The centre console piece is a little more involved and I can't remember exactly how to remove it.

I did the same exercise on my first B10 but that was some time ago, sorry I can't be of more help.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your response. The centre console should not be the problem. As I got the complete part from eBay, it is easy to see how it is attached.

CD frontloader lid remains slightly mysterious to me though. Maybe I will understand once I have seen the replacement part from Alpina, which should arrive next week.

Thanks again.

Hannes

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hi
Are you selling the blue wood? I could be interested if you are.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have not decided yet what I will do with the blue trim. Since the car's spec is still completely original (I have a copy of the order sheet), I am considering whether I should keep the blue trim for the sake of originality or not. I will let you know if the trim does go up for sale, though.

Hannes

·
Registered
122 Posts
Thanks

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmmm... Some disappointing news from Alpina, this week.

After many months of sending back and forth wrong trim parts and resigning employees at the Dutch Alpina importer, it turns out that I will be left with one missing piece in my Alpina wood trim puzzle.

As mentioned in my first post, I was planning on replacing my BMW Individual "Birke Blau" wood trim with original Alpina wood trim. I had been able to source a nearly complete set from ebay and wanted to order the remaining parts from Alpina.

Alpina has been able to deliver two out of the three missing parts. However, the last part, the CD front loader lid ("radioklappe"), is becoming a real problem. Alpina no longer has them in stock and can only order it from the manufacturer. Since the Alpina wood trim colour has changed quite significantly over the years, the manufacturer can not produce it in the original colour any more.

So, my question (I know it is a long shot) is: does anyone know where I could source a (second hand) E39 front loader lid in original Alpina wood? Maybe anybody knows of a parted out E39 B10 or of someone who has retrofitted a navigation system and therefore has a front loader lid to spare?

This is what it should look like:

Cheers.

Hannes

1 - 7 of 7 Posts