BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings all!

Well, the factory spoiler on my trunk is starting to come loose on the driver's side, and it turns out my CPO warranty doesn't cover this problem. So I figure if it needs to be removed in order to be stuck back on properly, now's the time to switch to something like the ACS style spoiler. So I've been perusing eBay for candidates, and would like some feedback from those of you who have purchased and installed trunk spoilers from eBay - which ones are quality and will fit correctly, and which ones are junk?

Also, has anyone purchased them from sellers who offer them painted to match your vehicle, and if so, how good was the paint job and how well did it match the color you requested?

I'm actually considering an all carbon fiber one that a couple sellers offer. Oh, and please note that I'm only considering ones that are sold and shipped from the U.S., NOT from overseas.

Here's the carbon fiber one: BMW E60 M5 5SERIES Trunk Spoiler Real Carbon Fiber | eBay

The only thing that worries me about that one is near the bottom of the description, it says "<?xml:namespace prefix = "o" /><o:p></o:p>
Our products are ready to install and come with easy to install screw accessories." SCREW accessories? I'm hoping that's just a generic description, and it doesn't apply to their trunk spoiler. I'll definitely check with the seller prior to buying, though!

SO.....opinions? Experiences?

Registered
IB DinanS2++ e60m5 6MT, Dogleg s38b38 e28m5 TT/ST3, e30 TT/ST4
I have an eBay carbon fiber M-style one on my e60. It's lasted 4 years with no signs of wear. The initial fitment was good, but not great. I used double sided tape and a bunch of weights across the spoiler to get a good stick.

I'm actually surprised it's lasted this long.

EDIT: I checked my eBay history...no longer available.

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
That's ok, I'm looking for something other than the factory style. Does the seller you got yours from offer other style CF spoilers, by chance?

Registered
IB DinanS2++ e60m5 6MT, Dogleg s38b38 e28m5 TT/ST3, e30 TT/ST4
That's ok, I'm looking for something other than the factory style. Does the seller you got yours from offer other style CF spoilers, by chance?
They didn't back then...and they don't have an eBay storefront today.

From what I remember, I only wanted to buy from the US as well. The seller said the item was in stock and in CA, but when the item shipped, it came from China.

I wasn't thrilled with that -- 4 weeks later it shows up. I was shocked.

Registered
woody that cf spoiler looks damn good! i'm impressed with an ebay product like that lasted 4 years..

Reactions: Fiftytwoeighty

Registered
Greetings all!

Well, the factory spoiler on my trunk is starting to come loose on the driver's side, and it turns out my CPO warranty doesn't cover this problem. So I figure if it needs to be removed in order to be stuck back on properly, now's the time to switch to something like the ACS style spoiler. So I've been perusing eBay for candidates, and would like some feedback from those of you who have purchased and installed trunk spoilers from eBay - which ones are quality and will fit correctly, and which ones are junk?

Also, has anyone purchased them from sellers who offer them painted to match your vehicle, and if so, how good was the paint job and how well did it match the color you requested?

I'm actually considering an all carbon fiber one that a couple sellers offer. Oh, and please note that I'm only considering ones that are sold and shipped from the U.S., NOT from overseas.

Here's the carbon fiber one: BMW E60 M5 5SERIES Trunk Spoiler Real Carbon Fiber | eBay

The only thing that worries me about that one is near the bottom of the description, it says "<?xml:namespace prefix = "o" /><o:p></o:p>
Our products are ready to install and come with easy to install screw accessories." SCREW accessories? I'm hoping that's just a generic description, and it doesn't apply to their trunk spoiler. I'll definitely check with the seller prior to buying, though!

SO.....opinions? Experiences?
That seller on ebay is a forum member (dinmann). People who bought from him seems to be happy with the purchase (also makes his own products). I doubt you need to screw that spoiler on the trunk.

Registered
E60 M5's don't have spoilers that screw onto the trunk, all of them are taped on. Not unless you get a GTR spoiler for racing anyways..

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
That seller on ebay is a forum member (dinmann). People who bought from him seems to be happy with the purchase (also makes his own products)...
THANKS! That's exactly the info I was hoping to find! Looks like I'll be ordering that one, then...sweeeeeeet.

E60 M5's don't have spoilers that screw onto the trunk, all of them are taped on. Not unless you get a GTR spoiler for racing anyways..
I knew the factory spoilers had no screws, just adhesive. But wanted to make sure this particular one didn't use screws in addition to the adhesive.

Registered
Dinmann makes quality stuff. I have his carbon fiber side skirts on my car and they look great.

If you are looking for quality rear spoilers that look a bit different, check out the Vorsteiner rear spoiler as seen on the M5 in this thread.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e6...-m5-w-dpe-stoptech-hartge-vorsteiner-rpi.html

I also have a Vorsteiner rear spoiler on my M5 and absolutely love it.

In case you're interested, I have a brand new one (unpainted/uninstalled) for sale as well.

Jon

Registered
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Spoke with dinmann on the phone last night after emailing him about the CF spoiler he sells. Way cool guy! Unfortunately, he checked his stock and is currently out of the carbon fiber trunk lip from the link I posted above. Good thing he thought to check and make sure he had one before accepting payment and then informing me afterwards that he was out of them, like I'm sure many other vendors would have done (*cough* VIVID RACING *cough*). Too many vendors nowadays could give a flying doo-doo about anything other than getting money out of a customer (*cough* VIVID RACING *cough*).

Also decided to go with a carbon fiber roof spoiler to match the trunk lip while I'm at it!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts