BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my car in because I was having some difficulties shifting into 2nd, and my SA just called me and said that they were going to replace the transmission (under warranty). What all do I need to ask regarding this process? What all should be replaced when this is done?

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
It is always prudent to replace the clutch when they have the tranny out. There will be no added labor (usally), and it is peace of mind knowing that you have a fresh clutch in there. Of course you'll need to pay for the parts, but the savings on labor are worth it.
Check the condition of the tranny mounts, and replace any that have wrinkles, strech marks, or look frayed. Have them check the condition of the guibo too.
:cheers:

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BmwNut said:
It is always prudent to replace the clutch when they have the tranny out. There will be no added labor (usally), and it is peace of mind knowing that you have a fresh clutch in there. Of course you'll need to pay for the parts, but the savings on labor are worth it.
Check the condition of the tranny mounts, and replace any that have wrinkles, strech marks, or look frayed. Have them check the condition of the guibo too.
THe clutch was replaced within the last year, so it's new. I'll ask about the tranny mounts, but what is the guibo?

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
The guibo is a rubber donut that surrounds the driveshaft to dampen out vibrations. Their service lives vary car to car, driver to driver. Might be easier to get it done if it is wearing out now than later.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts