BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone replaced the front plastic headlight covers? Is this a do it yourself job? How much do the covers cost?

Thanks

·
Registered
977 Posts
kencivic said:
Has anyone replaced the front plastic headlight covers? Is this a do it yourself job? How much do the covers cost?

Thanks
You cannot buy just the cover according to the parts DB, you need to buy an entire housing.

I do believe the M5 headlights are merely snapped together and not glued, which means it's an easy DIY if you were to be able to buy just the lens, say from a junk yard, or someone who had sold their original housings for parts.

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
You cannot replace the covers. They are in fact glued together and a real pain to get apart. A few people have tried here and it can be done, but it is not easy nor are the parts snapped together.

Mark

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
MAH said:
You cannot replace the covers. They are in fact glued together and a real pain to get apart. A few people have tried here and it can be done, but it is not easy nor are the parts snapped together.

Mark
Your comments apply to later years with angel eyes. The pre-angel xenon cover replacements are are very doable and described in many 5er tips sections.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Lscman said:
Your comments apply to later years with angel eyes. The pre-angel xenon cover replacements are are very doable and described in many 5er tips sections.
Lscman,

I've been looking but have only seen this for halogen headlights. Do you have a link or know of a source for the cover? It's not on the ETK.

Thanks,

Joe

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
M5Joe said:
Lscman,

I've been looking but have only seen this for halogen headlights. Do you have a link or know of a source for the cover? It's not on the ETK.

Thanks,

Joe
The procedure for replacing covers on halogen and pre-angel Xenon is identical. Of course removing the headlight assy and other tasks will differ slightly. It is not stated many places, but the lens covers on those two setups are identical and attach/detach using the same exact methods. As such, use halogen procedure to replace any E39 pre-angel covers....and use halogen lense covers on pre-angel Xenon. OEM or Hella brand is probably best, but I've been told the Chinese halogen assemblies selling for $100/pr on ebay can be disassembled and their lens reused to fix OEM. They may fade. I am unclear whether you can actually buy a "lens cover only" from BMW to fit early halogen. Some folks claim so.

If you review the linked thread above, you'll notice the person who installed fresh lenses on his MY2000 M5 chose to use lenses from the $100/pr Chinese halogen assys and they fit just fine. This means fresh lenses can be installed on any pre-angel car for $100 materials & a bit of fiddling.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts