BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my cousin lost the key to the M5 in Argentina ??????

He told me he can get one in EU or USA

So now its up to me.

What documents do you need to get a new key made ?

Does the dealer make it or do you have to order it somewhere ?

Thanks

·
Registered
9,354 Posts
Hehe yea, he "lost it" so that he can have a spare key to drive the car when you're not around :7:

·
Registered
752 Posts
the owner has to come with his registration, im pretty sure your gonna need the car there as well.

·
Registered
588 Posts
if he calls it in the dealer and faxs his drivers license and registration they can order him one.. it normally takes a few days to get it.

·
In Memoriam
4,624 Posts
As I understand it, the key has to come from the BMW warehouse. It is in the neighborhood of $ 200.00. It MUST be programmed for it to work (you can, at the same time, have the missing key de-programmed, so your cousin can't use "his" key). You will need the car there when the programming is done, and you will have to show your driver's license, and registration.

The key will have your VIN, mileage, and the key number (not important to you, unless you have over 10 keys programmed over the years ... max of 10 keys allowed).

You will NOT have to give up your first born son, however.

Depending on the dealer, there may be an hours service charge to program the key.

·
Registered
276 Posts
.... It MUST be programmed for it to work (you can, at the same time, have the missing key de-programmed, so your cousin can't use "his" key). You will need the car there when the programming is done, and you will have to show your driver's license, and registration.

I think it cost money too to have it de-programmed.
Which is ridiculous in my opinion.

You definitely need the owner's driver's license, and registration to get a key made.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts