1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
973 Posts
Surprised new Supra is not available with a stick.Surprised new Supra is not available with a stick.

·
Registered
7,500 Posts
Note that in the bimmerpost new models section with insider connections, it was recently posted in the May update that the upcoming M3 had it's planned number of models reduced/shuffled, and ynguldyn posted: "I am withdrawing most of my forecasting on G8x M3/M4. It appears the lineup has been significantly reshuffled, with at least one version cancelled for production. Furthermore, I can't figure out the new situation well enough to describe it in detail. Therefore, I can no longer guarantee neither RWD nor manual models. All I know is that there will be M3/M4 and M3/M4 Competition, and that there will be more separation between regular and Competition models than before. Everything else is a mystery to me now. BMW, you win a point here."

Prior to that it was pretty well laid out like in the Automobile mag link about a RWD "pure" 6MT version...now? Who knows, but that Automobile magazine information is dated and old apparently. I'm guessing the odds have greatly shifted toward the G80 being only available in AWD with the 8AT (DCT is now dead at BMW) similar to the F90. We'll probably know more in September.

I've not kept up with C8 info, but I am surprised the Vette won't have a manual available.

Both of these tidbits makes one ponder about a 2018 F80 M3 ZCP 6MT and a 2019 C7 Grand Sport 7MT. ;) Perhaps the last manual transmission true iconic models from these two companies. (Grand Sport is a personal preference; one can always go full on with a ZR1 7MT).

·
Registered
179 Posts
Costs for certifying a car or truck for emissions and fuel economy in the U.S. have helped build the coffin. It costs more than a million dollars to do so per powertrain, so for example a 2.0-liter gas engine available with an eight-speed automatic and a six-speed manual will cost the manufacturer more than $2 million to certify. Think an automaker can make up half of that by selling at best, a few thousand manuals per year?

But low manual-transmission take rates are a self-fulfilling prophecy. Except for certain sports cars, dealerships don’t want stick-shift-equipped cars to sit on their lots for months as they hope and pray for the buyer who both knows how to drive one and wants to buy one. Manual-gearbox buyers get frustrated looking for their chosen model with a manual, so they give in to the regular automatic, CVT, or dual-clutch option.

There is the real answer. 1 million dollars to certify an additional transmission. Plus people give up and just get whatever is available on the lot. Its not hard to see why most companies are shying away from offering manual transmissions on anything that wont guarantee a profit. With the market trending towards electric in the future, transmissions may become a moot point anyways.

Good news though...there are plenty of older / used cars that have manuals...enjoy your M5 !

·
Registered
162 Posts
that list puts into perspective how many ford manual trans offerings are going away w/ them getting out of car sales.

I believe as of 2019, you can still get all trims of the focus and fiesta with a manual trans, which would come out to 7 different variants. Add that to the EB/GT/GT350 variant mustangs w/ 6spd manuals and you have 10 options for stickshift vehicles from Ford.

I am also surprised/not surprised to see the take rate on manual trans mustang GT's is 50%, I had a Marti report made for my 2016 and it said the entine/trans combo was 1 of over 20,000. I did not expect them to still be selling so many stick cars.

I will say in regards to "replacing" the M5, if one was to want a V8 RWD Manual sedan, it's not possible unless you build your own. A car like the M5 will never exist again, period. Which is why I am planning on owning mine/a M5 always.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Are there any new cars that only come with a manual? The 911R was the last one I can think of.

Also, it really rustles my jimmies when ads specify manual transmission but you look at photos and see they're actually PDK/DCT/DSG/S-Tronic.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Are there any new cars that only come with a manual? The 911R was the last one I can think of.

Also, it really rustles my jimmies when ads specify manual transmission but you look at photos and see they're actually PDK/DCT/DSG/S-Tronic.
As of today, the Fiesta ST, Focus ST, Focus RS, Shelby GT350 and Bullitt mustang are all manual trans only. 15-17 you could only get the performance pack option on manual trans mustangs.

·
Registered
861 Posts
E39 M5 as the Great Gatsby

Yes the end is in sight. But we'll keep looking back. "So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past."

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
For those of you who care, at least the G8X M3/4 have been now confirmed as having a MT option, after a brief period of uncertainly (as noted above).

·
Registered
806 Posts

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
You can still get a challenger with a manual and the scat cat version has a 485hp NA 6.4. While it’s not a 4 door the rear seats fold down for Cargo and it’s a big car so rear seat is actually usable.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts