BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have just ordered most of the parts on here, well everything except 7, 11, 12, 13 and 21 :

RealOEM.com BMW E39 M5 S6S420G INNER GEAR SHIFTING PARTS

(1) Quantity: 1
Description: Price Finder Special Order Part: 23 11 1222979 - LOCKING PIN
Total Inc VAT: 9.26

(2) Quantity: 1
Description: Price Finder Special Order Part: 23 31 1228393 - COMPRESSION SPRING
Total Inc VAT: 3.38

(3) Quantity: 1
Description: 23 12 7527439 - SEALING COVER
Total Inc VAT: 1.44

(4) Quantity: 1
Description: 07 11 9934624 - LOCK RING, 20X1
Total Inc VAT: 0.60

(5) Quantity: 1
Description: Price Finder Special Order Part: 23 31 1224130 - LOCKING PIN
Total Inc VAT: 7.52

(6) Quantity: 1
Description: Price Finder Special Order Part: 23 11 1222720 - COMPRESSION SPRING
Total Inc VAT: 7.13

(8) Quantity: 1
Description: Price Finder Special Order Part: 23 31 7501584 - LOCKING PIN
Total Inc VAT: 14.33

(9) Quantity: 1
Description: Price Finder Special Order Part: 23 31 7511337 - COMPRESSION SPRING, D=1,40
Total Inc VAT: 3.84

(10) Quantity: 1
Description: Price Finder Special Order Part: 23 31 1282444 - THRUST PIN
Total Inc VAT: 13.08

(14) Quantity: 1
Description: Price Finder Special Order Part: 07 11 9986280 - BALL, D=8MM III
Total Inc VAT: 0.30

(15) Quantity: 1
Description: Price Finder Special Order Part: 23 31 1228405 - COMPRESSION SPRING
Total Inc VAT: 3.52

(16) Quantity: 1
Description: Price Finder Special Order Part: 23 31 7506911 - LOCKING DEVICE
Total Inc VAT: 10.68

(17) Quantity: 1
Description: Price Finder Special Order Part: 23 31 7506947 - REPAIR KIT, LOCKING
Total Inc VAT: 74.76

Total Inc VAT: £149.84

I thought I would do this as, I haven't done it already, but mainly because of this thread, thanks AustralianM5 :

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e3...transmission-what-went-wrong-how-i-fixed.html

The early M5s (pre 2000) seem to have a poorer version of the arrester mechanism. Originally form factory they were a ball bearing system, which seems to wear over time and may seize. This has been modified/uprated by BMW to a Arrester sleeve mechanism, which will not fail over the long term, I hope anyway. BMW actually recommend fitting this upgrade for early transmission cars, if owner complains of stiffness when shifting out of 3rd gear.... I have had that to some extent for some time now.

The other main part here is the Locking Pin, which provides a detent function for the main selector shaft, which as it fails will stop the mechanism returning to Neutral, and thus as you try to select another gear the arrester mechanism still thinks you are in another gear, hence the stiffness in the mechanism.

I think I will get this done early next week and report back the condition of the arrester balls and lockout pin (plunger).

I am also putting in some Royal Purple Synchromax....I always prefer to do OEM, but I will give it a go, as it seems our US members are loving it. UK Members : I bought the Royal Purple from : www.monkfishperformance.com who were very efficient and carried the item in stock, and I got it the next day (£18.97 per Quart (you need 2)).

Lets see if my shift quality improves...but I am doing this mainly as a preventative measure, against possible jamming of my shifter.

Cheers

·
Registered
323 Posts
+1 for the Royal Purple....................I had OEM and it changed gear like a 1920's Lorry.....................Tried thicker stuf and it was like a cashmere codpiece when warm, but cold it was like trying to get a tree through your letterbox ( it just wouldnt go ) . I decided to go Royal Purple + I added some Activ8 ( Activ8 Friction Reducer - Engine and Gearbox Oil Additive - Increase Engine Performance Power and Economy - Reduce Wear in Engines and Gearboxes - Suitable for Cars - Motobikes - Lorry Engines and Gearboxes has many Mechanical Uses ) and now even when its brass monkeys I can get it into second without too much effort.

Definetely gets my thumbs up.

I also think all M5 gearboxes feel agricultural ( baulky long change ).

Mine has been exactly the same for 118,000 miles and feels no different, so if it meant to be ubber smooth it was fcucked when it came out of the factory .

Regards

Nat.

:M5launch:

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
it was like a cashmere codpiece when warm, but cold it was like trying to get a tree through your letterbox

Ha Ha Ha hiha

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
My second gear has always been difficult to select from cold, I put it down to te nature of the car. Once warm it is as smooth as my shiny head.

Be interested in what you find when you have replaced the relevant parts

cheers and good luck

Reactions: M5 London

·
Registered
68 Posts
On a related point - poor shift into second when cold

My second is also difficult to select from first when the beast is cold and gets easier as it warms up. HOWEVER, I have found letting it rev a little higher in first before I make the shift (2.5-3K revs) eliminates the problem. I would be interested to hear if this is a quirk or applies for others as well.

Miles

·
Registered
906 Posts
Slipping a lttle, are you?

I'm shocked Kumaran, with your; "well everything except 7, 11, 12, 13 and 21"!

Some of your OCD wearing down a wee-bit?hiha

Cheers mate,
Alan

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I'm shocked Kumaran, with your; "well everything except 7, 11, 12, 13 and 21"!

Some of your OCD wearing down a wee-bit?hiha

Cheers mate,
Alan
He said he didn't order them. My guess is he already has these parts... :dunno: :grinyes:

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
My second is also difficult to select from first when the beast is cold and gets easier as it warms up. HOWEVER, I have found letting it rev a little higher in first before I make the shift (2.5-3K revs) eliminates the problem. I would be interested to hear if this is a quirk or applies for others as well.

Miles
I think its just the cold fluid. I don't drive my M5 in the winter but my Jeep does the same thing in the winter. 1st and 2nd are hard to go into until its warmed up, been like that since day 1 when I bought it new.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
My 1st and 2nd gear can be very hard to select when the car is cold. It gets smooth as butter once warmed up. I've got royal purple fluid in there too.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I too find the 1st to 2nd change better at slightly higher rpm when cold. Last year I installed the shorter throw newer 5 series linkage and ZHP gear knob, this seemed to exacerbate the gear change problem. I then changed gearbox oil to Castrol SAF-XO 75w-90 (from what I think was original oil, nice and black when it drained out) and noticed a much improvement when warm but still crunch when cold.
Am interested in royal purple findings when the data is released :) Is it the correct spec ?

Gervase

1 - 11 of 11 Posts