BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to get a new windshield installed, but was wondering if I should go aftermarket (which company) or OEM and why. Also I live in Mississauga near Toronto and was wondering if anyone can suggest a good place to get it installed. The dealership wants approx $700 in parts and $500 in labour which seems very excessive. Lastly, does anyone know who supplies BMW's autoglass, perhaps I can get it directly from them. Any help is appreciated.

Oh and does anyone know a good bodyshop in my area.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Windshield etc.

You could try Mitek Fine Automobile Body and Paint in Kitchener/Waterloo. The owner (Mike) is a BMW fan: www.mitekautobody.com 125 Centennial Rd Kitchener, 519-578-2052. They do all the fine bodywork for the local BMW, Mercedes, Land Rover etc dealers. CB.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
update

Alright I just got off the phone with a few BMW dealerships, which all gave very different prices. Range was $800 to $1400. Also an autoglass shop gave me a quote for $450 with PPG glass. Can anyone tell me if the OEM glass is worth the price or is the aftermarket just as good?

·
In Memoriam
4,624 Posts
Alright I just got off the phone with a few BMW dealerships, which all gave very different prices. Range was $800 to $1400. Also an autoglass shop gave me a quote for $450 with PPG glass. Can anyone tell me if the OEM glass is worth the price or is the aftermarket just as good?
YES it is worth it in this case, unless you want to take a chance on wind noise ... There have been many threads on this subject ... Do a search.

·
In Memoriam
4,624 Posts
And go to a dealer who wants it overnight. The silicone has to set properly. I believe 24 hours is the BMW recommended time.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I had mine replaced last year. The dealer's subcontractor for the install charged me $125.

I think anything more than $200 for the labor is excessive.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts