BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My M3 cabrio's handling has radically degraded in the last weeks. It does not hold a line through high speed turns. Everything feels like the shocks (struts) have worn out (e.g., the mushiness is worse on uneven surfaces). I took it into the dealer and they found no problem, but I am confident in what I feel, and it is not a minor difference.

Is there a good objective test for strut wear/performance? It seems BMW should replace worn struts under my (extended) maintenance policy (e.g., same as worn brakes). Does anyone else have experience with this?

Would you suggest other than OEM struts? If so, what matching suspension upgrades would you recommend. This is particularly relevant if I have continued problems with BMW.

Tom

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Interesting question Tom, I recently read about how the struts on the M3s wear out pretty quickly. Apparently they still pass the "bounce test" which is why BMW says nothing is wrong. Checking several of the M3 board out there, it seems like alot of people are experiencing this issue.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, the suspension is sufficiently tight that the bounce test does not appear to apply, and I am looking for something else easy and objective. Of course, I can just walk in and yell at them until they do it, but I would like to avoid that.

They sometimes balk on replacing clutches under warranty/service. I hope they don't try that here.

Tom

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dan,

Where did you read that the M3 struts wear out pretty quickly? I've googled it for a while and can't find any good hits. Also, what other suspension parts usually get replaced with worn struts?

Tom

1 - 4 of 4 Posts