BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As my wheels looked bad I was considering having them refurbushed. But was looking at £120 per corner plus the hastle of either getting them off the car and then couriered to somewhere who could do the work and also being without the car for a week or so, or dropping the car off and then trying to get back home ... (nearest place would be approx 100 miles away who could do a good job). So I have been on the hunt for a full set of new wheels for a while, well had them fitted yesterday.

Okay I admit, that although they are replacement rims I decided to stay OEM as if they were good enough for BMW motorsport they are good enough for me. I ended up paying an average price of £135 per wheel + £50 to get the tyres moved over, valves and balancing.

All wheels were purchased using contacts via ebay, this side is two refurbed OEMs but the finish is excellent

This side is one unused (ever) rear and a slightly used front

Close up of the refurbed rear

And close up of unused rear

And my manky old set

And a close up to show how bad they'd got

·
Registered
936 Posts
They look brilliant!!

I would be along the same thoughts as yourself - I really like the OEM wheels!

I was looking into having my own refurbed but it is proving impossible to find someone here in Ireland - even BMW said they could not match the colour :3:

Would you mind telling me where in the UK you were going to have them refurbed? I might check them out and send them my wheels!

Cheers,

Richie.

·
Registered
385 Posts
hi,

wheels look great. ive been after a set of OEM rears for ages but havent been able to find any. please PM me if you are willing to sell them, will take them off your hands immediately! im based in oxford and will travel to collect them or pay for postage etc. whatever is easiest.

thanks,
Pasha.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’m after 1 OEM front wheel to use as a spare on long journeys if you’re interested in selling.
<O:p
I had a valve split on the M25 last year on my way back from France and have been looking at my options as a repeat of this incident travelling in the opposite direction could seriously ruin a holiday and result in divorce. I live in SW London for logistics purposes.<O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p
Regards<O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p
Ed<O:p</O:p

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Looks great. One question...are those "refurbished" wheels OEM ShadowChrome or a close approximation?

Brian

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay to answer questions...

Richie, the only two companies that were rated as capable of refurbing Chrome Shadow were Lepsons in Surrey and Pristine Wheels in Milton Keynes. (both can be googled)

Pasha and Ed, sorry to say I'm not looking at selling, it took me an age to get a second set at sensible prices, I saw plenty of full sets on e-bay that weren't much better than my old ones selling for £600+, as said the four that I put on averaged £135 each, but I did buy the refurbed ones as a pair to ensure a colour match. The bargain of the bunch was the new rear ( still in the dealer box) which was £120. I'm planning on getting the old four refurbed at Lepsons later this year as it gives more options.

Brian the refurbs are Shadow chrome, the guy I bought them from had procurred BMW wheel paint and then arranged for a wheel shop to refurb a load of M5 wheels, (he was selling set's of 4 rears at a time).

Kindanutz, yep your are right, however I'm going to blame the carlessness of the previous owner who had kerbed all four wheels mildly, but over the time I've owned the car they seem to have deteriorated each winter thanks to the huge amount of salt that seems to be on the road all the time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
No worries. I think I can use a 17" style 66 or style 49 as a spare and there are more of these about second hand.

I must say your wheels look damn good and put mine to shame. I agree with you: Chrome Shadows are the only wheels to have on an E39 M5 (opinion).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts