BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello board,

I was wondering where can I source a set of new/remanufactured injectors for my B38 besides the stealer? To start, I don't have a clue about the whole specs on these and if there is a possible "better" (spray pattern) set to replace.

Any help is very much appreciated.

-Diego

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the link. However I need to replace all 6. I have them tested and cleaned (changed the filter/gauze) but two of them had a bad coil getting stuck at certain point, so they need to be changed from what I have been told (the culprit of my blown engine).

·
Registered
1,972 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Thanks for the links. Sent emails but no response yet.

I was checking at REAL OEM and BMWfans and seems the LUCAS are the same injector for the 3.6L and 3.8L engines?

Valves/pipes of fuel injection system BMW 5' E34, M5 3.8 (S38)

and

RealOEM.com * BMW E34 M5 3.6 VALVES/PIPES OF FUEL INJECTION SYSTEM

Can someone re-confirm me?

Thanks
I was looking for alternative applications for the B38 injector (thinking it may be cheaper if listed with something more mundane)... It came up as a 3.6 injector. Also, another site shows the Lucas being used from '91.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got a response from FiveoMotorsport

Diego – Your M5 will benefit from a new generation Bosch fuel injector. We can do an injector that is a direct-fit with the electrical and functional characteristics but with newer technology. You get the new Bosch with a 4-hole fuel nozzle along with better atomization. Add a little more horsepower and better throttle response. Check them out.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
http://www.fiveomotorsport.com/0280155931-corvette-26lb-01-04 <o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
Bruce Holt
Fiveomotorsport, Inc.
Superstreet & Racing Fuel Injectors<o:p></o:p>

Los Angeles, California & Salem, Oregon

What you think guys?

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Doubtful on performance increase, part load probably isn't measurable... But hey - the price is right!
Exactly. I don't care about "performance" gain that might be just a marketing stuff, my B38 already runs very very rich even more with the performance chip.

These are 300cc/min at 3 BAR. Our b38 are 3.5 BAR so that would equate to bigger flow which by the way I'm not sure the final flow.

The Lucas 3.6/3.8 injectors are unknown for me the cc/min at 3 BAR, but I think they are arround 290cc/min or so?

Could someone confirm the flow rate of the OEM injectors please?

Thanks

EDIT: Just got this reply from Bruce @ Fiveomotorsport, not sure if this is acuurate?

Diego – Your stock injector is 255cc/min at 3 BAR and 285cc/min at 3.5 BAR. The new injector flows at 285cc/min at 3 BAR and 317cc/min at 3.5 BAR.
If that is real, then it is a tad big for my engine these new design Bosch quoted/suggested?

Opinions?

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the link uk_bm

I'm just worried about being "bigger" injector the Bosch 931 recomended by Fiveomotorsport and according to him it will be 32cc/min higher flow. Not sure if that's a lot more or just a bit?

Couldn't find the Lucas D3764FA in that link though :(

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just saw the ebay link you posted and checked it. When I saw the tittle 4.6/4.7L stroker Jeep engine injectors, came to my mind a great flashback of my Jeep 4.6L stroker that came with some red top Ford/Bosch injectors that lately swapped with other smaller or largers (cant' remember) because I was playing with my S/C unit I had in there.

Now I searched for those injectors and found them. They are 4 pintle and are:

<TABLE border=4 cellSpacing=0 borderColor=red cellPadding=2 width=1020><TBODY><TR class=DatL1><TD align=left>0-280-150-945</TD><TD bgColor=#ccffcc>28.55</TD><TD>300.1</TD><TD>215.8</TD><TD bgColor=#bbe6ff>-</TD><TD>-</TD><TD>-</TD><TD>-</TD><TD bgColor=#feeccc>43.9</TD><TD>52.2</TD><TD>Top</TD><TD>High</TD><TD>Ford v6-3.8l SC</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

What do you think? Seems like I'm still stuck at 300cc/min but it doesn't state at what fuel presure is this flow though.

I might have them checked, cleaned and if they work, I will use them. They were new when I bought the stroker kit and had very low kms on them when used.

More opinions?

cherrsagai

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
BMW seem to use a lot of the same injectors for various engine capacities, when you look across the range. I can only imagine that the ECU trimming/feedback has a wide margin and can compensate.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
BMW seem to use a lot of the same injectors for various engine capacities, when you look across the range. I can only imagine that the ECU trimming/feedback has a wide margin and can compensate.

Yes, that's what I guess, however in my case I don't see how the engine will compensate (closed loop) a bigger injector installed sce my car from factory is CAT deleted and no 02 sensor. Oh well...I will report later when I make my own decision what route go. I might use my Ford/Bosch injectors (if they are up to the task) and see how it runs, hook up again my WB gauge and cross my fingers it will work good.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
That's a good point Diego, I wonder how they are running it.

I suppose the injectors could be trimmed around set points, idle for example.

More modern controllers can have predictive torque models and use crank acceleration to measure actual torque to compare with. Extending that thought, I suppose the CPS coud be used to determine torque and compare against some set values... But this may be far fetched for late 80s tech.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts