BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Oh good, Chevy finally made a car that drives like 20 year old BMW.
I'm NOT driving anything that looks like this thing. Even if it drives better than M5. Aesthetics is one big part why I picked E39, and the SS is fugly.

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
That is a problem I have with the SS: its looks. I think I posted in one or more of those threads. It has stuck on things that it's really doesn't need. Lovely drive train but between the front, rear and stick on appliances, the car is ruined for me. I know it's a piddly thing to whine about but I want to like how the car I drive looks.

·
Registered
9,833 Posts
The people that own them must love them. I have been interested in one for a few years. Not one has come up for sale in the past two years within 500km of where I live. Staying north of the border.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Oh good, Chevy finally made a car that drives like 20 year old BMW.
I'm NOT driving anything that looks like this thing. Even if it drives better than M5. Aesthetics is one big part why I picked E39, and the SS is fugly.
Stock for stock, I am not sure it drives "better" than the M5. The extra hp (out of a motor about 1.2 liters bigger or bout 70 cubic inches for you oldtimers! :)) helped lap times in the comparison, as did the trick (very good) shock setup. So the handling difference based on chassis design is probably pretty small.

Even if you like the styling (subjective), the interior is not even in the same ballpark as the M5. Much nicer everything, at least in my luxo caramel interior with full/extended leather everywhere.

It would be interesting to see any sales to see how the pricing has held up. Given the SS was one of the rarer 3 pedal manuals, I am guessing it will do well, although low mileage M5's that are close to 20 years old still bring between 25 and 50% of MSRP (much depending on mileage). There are a couple of outliers that have done even better!

So for a dual purpose car (track and DD), the SS is not a bad choice. But I would never swap one for the other. M5 is just so much more elegant and refined to me. Of course, I am biased..... ;)

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
12,768 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
Shame on Chevy to do a 2016 car comparison to a 2001 m5.,,where is Chevy in the year 2000-2003 when the m5 see the lights
At least do it with a 2006-2010 e60 m5 .
And in this test with the v10 SS will cry.

Thank you.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Shame on Chevy to do a 2016 car comparison to a 2001 m5.,,where is Chevy in the year 2000-2003 when the m5 see the lights
At least do it with a 2006-2010 e60 m5 .
And in this test with the v10 SS will cry.

Thank you.
They were comparing it to the M5 that widely regarded to be the best M5 (and sport sedan in general) of all time.

Certainly the SS is a better car than it’s contemporary M5 (F10) :)

·
Registered
2 Posts

This video helped to motivate me to buy an SS. Ironically I sold it after buying a low mileage 2003 M5. Here are some thoughts.

1. The SS is a great handling car with a powerful engine. It drives far smaller than it is. The stock engine note and 3 modes were impressive and the power was great in stock trim.

2. Fit and finish, here is no comparison. The M5 all day long. From the vinyl in the seats to carpet to plastics.

3. Looks wise, my phantom black SS looked tough but undistinguishable. No one ever really knew what it was which was cool sometimes.

For the most part I’m happy I bought a car I passed on in the mid 2000’s. I miss some of the new technology and the bulletproof nature of the LS3, drivetrain and everything else. The car was new and required little to no maintenance. The SS was no 16 year old car in that regard. That all being said, it seems like the 2016 I sold for 38k would still sell for that or more today. The cars only sold well when GM discounted them 20%. If fit and German finish isn’t your thing you will be happy. In retrospect I couldn’t pass on the driveway find that is now my M5. Something had to give. I have lots more to share if you have specific questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This video helped to motivate me to buy an SS. Ironically I sold it after buying a low mileage 2003 M5. Here are some thoughts.

1. The SS is a great handling car with a powerful engine. It drives far smaller than it is. The stock engine note and 3 modes were impressive and the power was great in stock trim.

2. Fit and finish, here is no comparison. The M5 all day long. From the vinyl in the seats to carpet to plastics.

3. Looks wise, my phantom black SS looked tough but undistinguishable. No one ever really knew what it was which was cool sometimes.

For the most part I’m happy I bought a car I passed on in the mid 2000’s. I miss some of the new technology and the bulletproof nature of the LS3, drivetrain and everything else. The car was new and required little to no maintenance. The SS was no 16 year old car in that regard. That all being said, it seems like the 2016 I sold for 38k would still sell for that or more today. The cars only sold well when GM discounted them 20%. If fit and German finish isn’t your thing you will be happy. In retrospect I couldn’t pass on the driveway find that is now my M5. Something had to give. I have lots more to share if you have specific questions.

Very informative read, it's good to hear from someone who owned one.

The car only has 3 things that I am fund of which of course, is the Motor, Suspension and the Tranny.

The looks of the car to me is completely aesthetically wrong.

Even the wheel setup is shallow looking IMO.

It would be wonderful if BMW can just dust off the blueprints to the almighty E39 M5 and start production all over again with the latest upgrades in Technology and bullet proof rod bearings...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I agree that the wheels were shallow looking. Few cars have the presence of the e39 M5. I would argue that it’s the most handsome 5 series ever from every angle. The way the engine revs to how balanced and great the ride is only complement the magic that the M engineers were able to accomplish. Again, I’m happy I had a chance to own one.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
11 Participants
Joraq
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing