BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replacement for M5?

I know this has been covered at length but I’m back at it and faced with a real dilemma.

History:

I had a beautiful 02’ M5 that I absolutely loved! Did all the right mods. Submarined car in a rain storm and blew the motor. Replaced motor –car ran better than ever-got scared about future resale value and traded for a 04’ Porsche Cayenne.
My thought was that the E60 M5 would be out about now and I would roll into it.
As we all know this is still some time away even farther if I want something for my left foot to do-which I do as I really dislike, no hate SMG, before I get flamed I have driven all current versions of SMG and think they are terrible compromises, I can’t imagine the next version to resolve my issue of driver to car to road interaction that a true manual provides. So until a manual is provided this is not a car I’m interested in. I should note that the three BMW dealers I spoke to have unanimously stated that SMG and I quote “SUCKS”. This has to be a byproduct of owners and potential owner’s dislike of SMG. I also found it interesting that all three dealers did not have a SMG equipped car beyond a M3? BMW are you listening!!!
Enough of my SMG bashing. I have driven the following cars in order of interest:
1. Cadillac CTS-V, Great driving experience-reminds me of M5 after my mods! Cheap interior, no handbrake?
2. BMW 645ci Sport, Manual, Liked driving experience, though a little to soft, great interior, lots of gadgets a + for me, no back seat.
3. Audi S4 05.5’ Great driving experience, no Bluetooth? Small interior.
4. Porsche 997S Fabulous car, obviously has the un-weighted front feeling-though much better than 996. Not practical for me.
5. BMW 545 Sport Auto Did not like the driving experience, road rough, felt under powered compared to 645, Interior did not work as well as the 645, felt cheaper? The only thing to like was the back seat and trunk.

I’m not sure a used M5 works as I would want a really low mileage car that I could do a short term 24 month lease.
Have I missed anything?
I need to do something fairly soon or my wife is going to kill me. My obsession with this has rendered me useless and unproductive.
I look forward to your thoughts!

·
Registered
149 Posts
I share your thoughts....

I would personally choose the 997S, seems like you have another car to do the heavy lifting so I would choose the porsche.
HOWEVER the cadillac is also a great car with a great feeling, for me it would come down to having 4 doors or 2.
Good luck

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Diplomat
Yes the 997s is a great car, heck even the 997 is really sorted out. I will most likley trade the Trailblazer and the Subby as I have limited garage space. That being said the 997 does not have the space I will need.

Much to my suprise I really liked how the Caddy drove. Just not sure I can live with the interior.

In the past I would never considered anything but a M car. Today I'm left with no options but to go to another brand. I find it amazzing that BMW has missed the mark with so many of us.

Right now I'm looking for a low millage 03' M5 lovelove

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I'm glad to see you are going for a used late model E39 M5...this was going to be my suggestion given how much you enjoyed your old one. I don't know about a 24 month lease, however. Maybe you'll keep it longer!

For a straight 24 month lease, the best option is probably the CTS-V. You can get a good deal on a new one, lease it for 24 months and then just give it back...no hassles. You probably can learn to stand the interior for 24 months.

Good luck, hope you become productive at home again (that reminds me of how my wife described me when I was searching for my M5
).

·
Registered
12,865 Posts
iMac said:
Try new Audi A6 4.2 quattro :wroom:

:cheers:
Auto only IIRC. Needs the 2.7tt if he wants 6sp.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
'03 Mach5, I mean M5 ;)

The "CONNOISEUR'S choice" :)

The M3 would be a great second choice, but I think you would really miss the torque.

Best of luck in your decision.

:cheers:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts