BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, i've successfully cooked my OEM clutch! ouich After 76,000 miles of abuse I think its done very well.

I've been reading the endless posts regarding clutches and replacements and its all a bit confusing. I'm looking for a clutch which is strong enough to hold the beasts torque and power but isn't a snappy on-off type clutch. I'm looking for something which is still drivable everyday and isn't going to make low-speed manuevering difficult, but still has the strength when I give it some beans. Any recommendations please? ....

...and what is the best thing to do with the flywheel, I find the M5 revs come up too slowly for heel and toe downshifting.


:flag:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
530 Posts
M5BHP:

First off, congrats on 76K on a stock clutch.

If you plan on keeping the car, I would suggest the UUC stage 1 setup. From my understanding, the Stage I & Stage II setups are similar in clutch response to stock than the Stage III, which is less forgiving.

The lightened flywheel (I believe it is the same for any stage clutch) will help the throttle response you talk about.

If you plan on selling the car, a replacement OEM might be fine, especially since you get high milage out of them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well i'm going to keep it so i'll have a look at the UUC Stage II. Does Beastpower stock it? Where can I get one from somewhere in UK? (save importing it)



jjc1843 said:
M5BHP:

First off, congrats on 76K on a stock clutch.

If you plan on keeping the car, I would suggest the UUC stage 1 setup. From my understanding, the Stage I & Stage II setups are similar in clutch response to stock than the Stage III, which is less forgiving.

The lightened flywheel (I believe it is the same for any stage clutch) will help the throttle response you talk about.

If you plan on selling the car, a replacement OEM might be fine, especially since you get high milage out of them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
M5BHP said:
Well i'm going to keep it so i'll have a look at the UUC Stage II. Does Beastpower stock it? Where can I get one from somewhere in UK? (save importing it)
I've read countless of threads on this subject and have made up my mind that the UUC setup is the best (although pricey - $2,700). I'm going to purchase the UUC stage 1 since I don't track my car and don't want any additional grabiness (cheaper too). If you decide on the UUC set-up, we should start a post to see if there are additional interested parties, and maybe we can convince Rob at UUC for a group-buy discount? What do you think? I need to make my purchase relatively quickly since my clutch is really loose. Beastpower does not sell UUC anylonger, but you can purchase directly from UUC or Discovery Automotive, both of which are board sponsors.

Regards,
Edgar
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,472 Posts
I think there was a post just a few days ago that gave a free upgrade from stage1 to stage2.
I'd love the price on the UUC options to fall also. I need a clutch, I know the UUC is best but still too pricey.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
boostmiser said:
I think there was a post just a few days ago that gave a free upgrade from stage1 to stage2.
I'd love the price on the UUC options to fall also. I need a clutch, I know the UUC is best but still too pricey.
Yeah, I read that thread, too. But I'm interested in perhaps a little more than a $200 break, if possible with bulk discount.

Regards,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,078 Posts
charronegro said:
I've read countless of threads on this subject and have made up my mind that the UUC setup is the best (although pricey - $2,700). I'm going to purchase the UUC stage 1 since I don't track my car and don't want any additional grabiness (cheaper too). If you decide on the UUC set-up, we should start a post to see if there are additional interested parties, and maybe we can convince Rob at UUC for a group-buy discount? What do you think? I need to make my purchase relatively quickly since my clutch is really loose. Beastpower does not sell UUC anylonger, but you can purchase directly from UUC or Discovery Automotive, both of which are board sponsors.

Regards,
Edgar
I am currently on original OEM clutch at 38k, and I know it's on it's way out, UUC stage I is my first choice. I would be interested in a group buy, count me in.:M5thumbs:
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top