BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The rear airbag was mounted on the door but not connected. I was not sure if it was like that for a while or the PO might have left it that way. When I first took
the door panel off I just thought it was connected behind. Once I started matching cables up to equipment I was very surprised.

you can see the wire tied up on the front part of the door. Should the airbag system given a warning that this airbag was disconnected. Sometimes I get that front passenger airbag light that comes on during a trip and then goes out again in a few min.

Airbag no wire connected to it like found it.

The wire was taped up to the door insulation like it was done from the factory. I have not checked the Lf rear door yet. I also have not hooked up the airbag until I do a little more looking around.
Has anyone else run into this?:confused:

·
Registered
300 Posts
I believe most rear side airbags were not connected from the factory (at least for US market). You need to connect them, then enable them via programming.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
When these cars were sold new in the US, you had to sign a form stating that no children would be riding in the back seat in order to have the rear door bags hooked up, or at least that was what I was told when my '00 was delivered. I think I still have the orange stickers in the rear door sills stating that the air bag is not activated.

So what you found is normal.

Steve
00 M5 et al

·
Registered
924 Posts
Wonder how much weight could be saved if they were removed? :D

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Oh okay

That makes sense to me know. That's why it looked like it had been that way from the factory. Does anyone know the procedure to unlock and enable the rear system? The bag did not seem very heavy maybe 3-4 lbs i think. thanks for the help
Dave

·
Registered
300 Posts
You need to use SSS/Progman or ISTA-P to enable them. You might be able to with NCS, but I haven never explored that route. I activated mine using SSS/Progman.

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
SSS/Progman does only do it with the correct code entered at the end of the process.This code can only be recieved by dealerships when requesting the Vin specific code for the car from the factory.

It is possible to do it with NCSExpert.

·
Registered
300 Posts
SSS/Progman does only do it with the correct code entered at the end of the process.This code can only be recieved by dealerships when requesting the Vin specific code for the car from the factory.

It is possible to do it with NCSExpert.
I thought that was only the rear head restraints that needed the code. The MRS section of Progman v32 did it for me with no code entry. I'll need to dig around NCS now to see how to get the rear head restraints active.....

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
At least on euro cars it asks for the code for the door airbags.
Earliest version I tried was V44 up to the latest version.Always wanted the stupid code.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That kind of stuff is well above my skill level. Could an independent do that? And what software would i need and is it downloadable? I have Carsoft 6.5 but I dont think that will do it.....

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Why do you want them active?

IMO i never sit in the rear of my car so it would be an uneccessary expense for what amounts to nothing gained(if i lived in the US of course).

If you do have children or the like sitting in the rear then surely you are going against US safety protocal by enabling them.

It would be interesting to see how your insurance looked upon that in the event of an accident

·
Registered
300 Posts
IMO i never sit in the rear of my car so it would be an uneccessary expense for what amounts to nothing gained(if i lived in the US of course).
I never take children in my car, but I do take adults often. I like to ensure my responsibility for safety is exercised by having them active for the rear passengers.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Why do you want them active?

If you do have children or the like sitting in the rear then surely you are going against US safety protocal by enabling them.

It would be interesting to see how your insurance looked upon that in the event of an accident
I thought it would be the same reason we have the same airbag in the front for protection of the occupants.

I never take children in my car, but I do take adults often. I like to ensure my responsibility for safety is exercised by having them active for the rear passengers.
I'm like you a never take infants or small children in the back just adults. I would think the added protection would be a blessing for a side impact I think lawyers got in the way. I'm still thinking on the issue?
Dave

1 - 14 of 14 Posts