BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. Found a very very small amount of what appears to be water in the battery cavity last night on my '00 M5. Could this be water from the battery? The liquid appeared to be nearest the vent tube for the battery. There are no other leaks in or around the trunk, so I can only guess it's from the battery. Any thoughts?
2. The positive cable leading to the battery terminal had some corosion on it and the red cable was actually split about 2 inches right at the terminal, making the positive wire actually visible. Any issues here? If so, how hard to replace the positive battery line?

BTW, the stealer in Atlanta wanted $340 installed for a new 95R-6 battery. I paid $115. from Batteries Plus and the install took about 20 minutes due to some cleaning. ALSO, I didn't use their services, but they will install ANY car battery for $10. That seems pretty reasonable and thought you'd like to know in case you live near a Batteries Plus.
TripleD

·
Registered
530 Posts
Thoughts:

1: Clean up the spilled "water" or solution that is present. Check for reappearance of this fluid. Careful, this might be an acid.

2: Since the battery is in the trunk, some electrical tape around the split should be enough to insulate this conductor.

3: Good price on the battery. Thanks for the tip.

·
10,455 Posts
Mix a little baking soda and water and brush it on the fluid you see in your batt compartment. If it's acid, it'll react and neutralize it.
Otherwise, you may have a leak, perhaps from the batt vent tube under the car. My car developed a water leak from the fitting at the gas door, where the lock rod slides thru. I replaced the grommet that surrounds the lock rod an it's again watertight.
Mike

1 - 4 of 4 Posts