BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
For a couple of months my M5 has been running EXTREMELY poorly. And by extremely, I mean like a 528i at most. I raced a friend in his 2.7 T audi S4, which is chipped (320 hp at most) on the highway, starting in second gear. By the time the M5 was hitting the max speed limiter, the S4 was about two blocks away! I don't want this happening again.
So I took the car to a shop and the guy says one MAF is faulty. Some backgournd info: I didn't take the car to the dealer, it is an independent shop that works only on BMW's. I live in Argentina, where there are 15 M5's at most, and the dealer knows nothing about them, I didn't want the experimenting with my car at an extremely high cost.
Si this guy tells me only one MAF is faulty on my 1999 M5, and that is all I have to replace. The question is: Sould I change both MAF's at once, or only the one that is faulty? Do you think this is the only problem with my car?
Thank you very much,
Raul

P.s.: Where can I find the MAF's cheap, in the US? Dealers sell them for $320. Anyone know another place?

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
Before you decide to replace your MAF's and pay so much money... try cleaning them! You need a T20 Torx screw bit ( 5 star screw ) and just clean the sensors with "electronic component cleaner", or any alcohol based solution.

Try it.... you will be very happy with the M5's performance coming back again and also with the money you saved! You will feel the difference immediately, but it will get better and better when you put a few miles on it!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ahmed, tried cleaning them, thank you very much anyways. One of the MAFs seems to be working poorly, so cleaning won't do anymore.
I will buy both MAFs ASAP, thanks for your help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts