BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there
Unfortunately I have to replace my front discs and pads, pads all around of course.
What should I do? Buy everything OEM, or is there a better aftermarket alternative for both? I'm pretty sure that for the pads there is, but what about the brake discs? I'm not talking about a whole BBK, but just the discs. Will it be cheaper than OEM, or much better for the same price?
Please enlighten me on this topic because I'm in the dark...
Thank you very much for your help,
Raul

·
Registered
149 Posts
I had my 4 rotors and pads done a few months ago and here is what I concluded.
For rotors you can only go OEM, and yes at 225 each they get expensive :). For pads you can go aftermarket like Axxis if you want, but personally I just went with oem as the car was menat to go with oem.
good luck

·
Registered
12,865 Posts
silverstone400 said:
Hi there
Unfortunately I have to replace my front discs and pads, pads all around of course.
What should I do? Buy everything OEM, or is there a better aftermarket alternative for both? I'm pretty sure that for the pads there is, but what about the brake discs? I'm not talking about a whole BBK, but just the discs. Will it be cheaper than OEM, or much better for the same price?
Please enlighten me on this topic because I'm in the dark...
Thank you very much for your help,
Raul
I would shoot an email to Dave Z., the resident brake guru and pick his brain. He may be able to supply OEM rotors, and he -may- :D have an opinion on non OEM pads.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
there are brembo sport rotors out there that you could use....bav auto also has their ultimate rotors. In addition, there is also the euro M5 rotor.

the bav auto come in slotted or cross and are about 600 for the front and like 550 for the rear

Im not sure what the brembos go for nor the euro rotors

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replys guys.
I forgot to mention it, but my M5 is an euro model. I did not know the rotors were different. The local dealer sells each front rotor for US$ 500. Where, in the U.S., can I buy the euro rotors? Are they better than the U.S. spec rotors?
The way SC'dKellenersM5 put it, it sounds like the euro rotors are a bit better. Am I mistaken?
In short: I'm travelling to the U.S. in a few days, and would like to buy the rotors and pads there, as the prices here are a steal, as always. Now I'm a bit confused beacuse apparently these brake components on the euro and U.S. versions vary. To avoid further complication, I now decided to stay with OEM. Should I go straight to any U.S. dealer for these parts, or where else?
Thank you very much guys...

·
Registered
12,865 Posts
silverstone400 said:
Thanks for the replys guys.
I forgot to mention it, but my M5 is an euro model. I did not know the rotors were different. The local dealer sells each front rotor for US$ 500. Where, in the U.S., can I buy the euro rotors? Are they better than the U.S. spec rotors?
The way SC'dKellenersM5 put it, it sounds like the euro rotors are a bit better. Am I mistaken?
In short: I'm travelling to the U.S. in a few days, and would like to buy the rotors and pads there, as the prices here are a steal, as always. Now I'm a bit confused beacuse apparently these brake components on the euro and U.S. versions vary. To avoid further complication, I now decided to stay with OEM. Should I go straight to any U.S. dealer for these parts, or where else?
Thank you very much guys...
Euro rotors are "floating" and wouldn't be stocked by US dealers. LIability issues, so we don't get them. Some BMW specialty stores in the US may carry them, but I would think they would be imported from Europe. Try Bav Auto,Turner Motorsports, or see if Dave Z can source them at a better price.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
gsfent said:
Euro rotors are "floating" and wouldn't be stocked by US dealers. LIability issues, so we don't get them. Some BMW specialty stores in the US may carry them, but I would think they would be imported from Europe. Try Bav Auto,Turner Motorsports, or see if Dave Z can source them at a better price.
Regards,
Jerry
Thanks for the referral Jerry, but I don't have anything in the way of brake discs, other than big brake kits, for the M5. I believe Evosport, another board sponsor, carries the European floating rotors for the M5. I suggest checking with [email protected] to see if he can help you.

·
Registered
948 Posts
hi guys:

you can buy 1998 740il brake pads(front & rear) , it will fit in the m5, i tell you that from experince, but for brake discs plz plz plz buy original do not buy after market they will not last long and you will face viberation, other thing brake pades i mentioend also they will not last long as the original, at the end IT IS UP TO YOU! CHEESE:byebye:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
mubarak said:
you can buy 1998 740il brake pads(front & rear) , it will fit in the m5, i tell you that from experince, but for brake discs plz plz plz buy original do not buy after market they will not last long and you will face viberation, other thing brake pades i mentioend also they will not last long as the original, at the end IT IS UP TO YOU!
That's true. The E38 740 uses the same shape front and rear pads as the M5. So does the X5 3.0 and 4.4. And the E46 M3 and the 330i use the same rear shape pads as the M5.

Notice I was careful to use the word "shape" rather than same pads. Often, BMW will use the same shape pad but different pad compounds for different models, so the part number isn't the same, even though the pads are physically interchangeable.

For the M5, there aren't really any aftermarket alternatives. You can get the American rotors or the European floating rotors. But as far as I know, the major players like Brembo, Zimmerman, and ATE do not make aftermarket replacement rotors for the M5.

As for mubarak's comments about aftermarket rotors in general, presumably based on a single bad experience with his 1998 740iL, I have to disagree. The Balo rotors on that car are no better than the options offered by the major aftermarket players I mentioned above. If he had a vibration problem, it was probably due to pad deposition problems and the rotor was merely an innocent bystander, left to take the blame. There's nothing magic about the metallurgy in the Balo factory rotors. The critical issues are proper installation, appropriate pad selection, and proper bedding technique.

As for aftermarket brake pads not lasting as long as the OEM pads, again I respectfully disagree with this sweeping generalization. There is a wide range of aftermarket pads available to fit the M5. Some of them are optimized for more agressive bite and a wider temperature range than stock. These pads may not last as long as the original pads. A good example is the Axxis Ultimate, which will probably last only 85 percent as long as stock. The Axxis Deluxe Plus should last the same as stock. And the Axxis Metal Master (which I do not recommend for other reasons) will probably last much longer than the stock pads. It's just like tires. You pick your priorities amongst all the characteristics of a tire make and model and then choose. If you want a maximum performance, summer-only tire then it won't last as long as stock. If you want a grand-touring tire, it may last twice as long as stock.

·
Registered
48 Posts
gsfent said:
Regards,
Jerry
I recently did exactly the same thing - I replaced all 4 rotors with OEM floating which I got at my local US Dealer (Global Imports in Atlanta). Was about $250 front and $270 rear each.
I went with Axxis Deluxe and am very happy so far.

·
Registered
931 Posts
My $.02 would be if the rotors are still good, keep them. I did go with Axxis Ultimate pads all around. I also went with Stop Tech stainless steel lines and did a full flush of the fluid and replaced it with Motul RBF 600 High Performance fluid. Low pad dust, very good stopping, good feel, and no vibration. :M5thumbs:

LOL

·
Registered
12,865 Posts
M5nLovinIt said:
I recently did exactly the same thing - I replaced all 4 rotors with OEM floating which I got at my local US Dealer (Global Imports in Atlanta). Was about $250 front and $270 rear each.
I went with Axxis Deluxe and am very happy so far.
Good to know that the floating rotors are available in the US. Gives folks another option.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
48 Posts
gsfent said:
Good to know that the floating rotors are available in the US. Gives folks another option.
Regards,
Jerry
Yeah - and they were the same price as the non-floating version, but lighter!

Best,
Henry

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
M5nLovinIt, could you pass me the number of the place where you bought these rotors please?
DZeckhausen, will the Axxis Ultimate pads you sell fit my front and rear calipers without problem? No problem here with the difference between the euro and U.S. rotors?
Thank you very much.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
silverstone400 said:
DZeckhausen, will the Axxis Ultimate pads you sell fit my front and rear calipers without problem? No problem here with the difference between the euro and U.S. rotors?
The calipers are the same on both sides of the pond, so the pads will fit.

·
Registered
48 Posts
silverstone400 said:
M5nLovinIt, could you pass me the number of the place where you bought these rotors please?
Thank you very much.
Hi Silverstone,
The number for Global Imports BMW (http://atlantabmw.com) is (770) 951-1119. Talk to Brandon, he was very helpful & informative. He actually suggested the floating Euro version to me, and had the L/front shipped from Germany when he didn't have stock.

All four cost me $1,017.51 including taxes, hex bolts and anti-squeek gel.

P.S. Its an easy DIY job, just be careful when jacking up the car. The jack supports are hard to find. Search the forum for "jack stand" and "jack support". Also, I had to replace my right rear (sway) bar clamp, so be sure to check if anything else is amiss while you're under there.

Good luck!
Henry

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Yes. Turner Motorsport has them, too. TurnerMotorsport $557.90 /pr. front, $421.82 /pr. rear.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts