BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

What would you do? (values are based on repair or chassis acquisition only)

• Repair the chassis - approx. $10k

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Swap chassis from another white non-M5 E34, move M5 parts and lose the M5 VIN - approx. $1500-3000

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Transform an E34 Touring wagon chassis into an M5 Touring - approx $3000

Votes: 3 60.0%

• Total voters
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2 years ago I damaged my M5. The damage extends from the front grill to the hood to the left fender and frame rail.
I have contemplated a few different options and even posted in the past but here are some thoughts based on the fact that:
1. My focus is not to resell.
2. I love the car and spent years refurbishing it prior to the accident.
3. I am not concerned about badging, etc but appreciate the S38B36 the most and it is the main focus for me.

At this point it has sat for quite some time and I need to make a decision.

·
Registered
29 Posts
You should definitely keep the WBS VIN, if practical. Keeps value in time.

Body of my car is pretty rusty, and I was contemplating the same as you. However, when the sell day comes, if it's not WBS, it ain't an M car. All paperwork would claim 535, 540, 525... you name it. Repair if possible, otherwise convert to station wagon. 😊

·
Registered
19 Posts
If you plan on selling you will want the wbs vin but the price you are into the repair negates that sonit doesn’t make sense unless values increase significantly.

Best choice for value is making a wagon as they will sell for more than a sedan even if it is a Frankenstein.

If you plan to keep it forever throw it in a sedan.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Repair it and have a new front end spliced on as needed. Unless you can find a M5 WBS shell to use to swap but there is a ton of time to swap it all over and then you would probably be wishing you had done a full concours paint on the empty shell so it can snowball on you fast for $$$.

Fix it so you can enjoy it. Life is too short to let it sit.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the thoughts guys. I have read a few posts but have not yet found one that is comprehensive on the transplant of the S38B36 over to a 525 chassis. I believe there are some brackets, such as that for the air filter, that may need fabricating, but does anyone have a list of fabrication and electronic needs for the conversion to assess what trouble I may face with that option?

·
Registered
613 Posts
Value propositions aside, the most important factor is in your first post: you like the S38. Let's face it, that is 90% or more of the use value of the E34 M5. I agree that finding a clean shell (you could use this as a chance to find the color you always wanted) and swapping makes the most sense. In terms of a "swap guide", that does not exist; but you have the best possible swap scenario already, which is a complete M5 donor on which to base your swap.

The wagon idea is arguable, but more importantly, you're the one living with the car. Build a wagon only if you want a wagon.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Depending on the price, I would have it repaired. I would think you could find somebody who could do it reasonably if they had a decent parts car.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts