BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

I have a 1991 M5 in Alpine White II. I am looking to do the following repairs and upgrades to the car:

1. Paint - the car needs some minor body work and paint. I am going to have the car resprayed in Alpine White II. In your opinions, should I have the entire car done, including ground effects and diffuser, or should I have them painted the factory black color? What do you guys think looks better. I am leaning towards having them done in White. Anyone have any opinions on adding subtle M stripes on the hood or fender?

2. Headliner - My headliner is sagging and I am looking to replace or recover. The factory headliner is about 488 dollars on RealOEM. What do you guys think about Alacantra? How about just having it recovered at an upholstery shop?

3. Stereo - Does anyone have any advice for aftermarket stereo upgrade? I have an older aftermarket head unit in the car now and would like to upgrade everything -- rear speakers (missing), tweeters in A pillar, front kick panel speakers, and add a sub. Does anyone have pictures of their setup? How about a sub enclosure in the ski pass area?

Looking forward to the replies. Thanks.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Personally I would go as close to Original Specification as possible to maintain the integrity of the breed, but it is your car and it could be changed back to OS easily enough from what you are suggesting to do. If all the other Texas owners suggest changing it then they just want to have the only OS M5 in the state for themselves.

I think I have the only one in Manchester, UK! :grinyes:

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
mine is Ice White, and the sill covers have been changed from black to white, which I much prefer (always disliked the black sill covers myself).

I've repaired and kept my original stereo system (becker unit) as it sounds fantastic, despite lack of ipod / mp3 / bluetooth etc.

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
I was going to do headliner, A and C pillars in alcantara. At 99.00 USD a Square Yard I decided it was not worth the money. Waiting on stock headliner material and glue to redo mine. If price were not an issue, I surely would have had a professional do the alcantara, it's too much money to waste on trial and error doing it myself.

I have seen stock recovers on this sight that look very nice.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts