BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if anyone here has had their M5 totally repainted, especially if you've had the paint color changed. I'm kicking around the idea of going from Jet Black to Silver and just wondering what the cost would be to make the change or if it can even be done. I'm not sure the entire car could be repainted (like the inside part of the doors and trunk) or what the cost would be. I'm guessing about $3,000 ? :confused2

Thanks for any info....

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
My advice would be not to change colors. I did it once in my young and stupid days, going from red to blue on a Porsche 911, and although the exterior looked fantastic, I saw every little detail (doorjambs, under-hood) where the blue ended and red appeared. If you're a perfectionist you'll never be happy.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
It can be done, but to do it right you'd be low by $5k or more.

Just remove the all glass, trim, weatherstripping, interior and dash- repaint, reassemble.

Cheaper to sell and buy a silver.

·
Registered
317 Posts
As an ex-autobody shop owner, I concur with ard. Changing color of a car is like trying to turn a black cat into a skunk (The cat will look like neither).

Horrific results, regardless of effort.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Archille said:
As an ex-autobody shop owner, I concur with ard. Changing color of a car is like trying to turn a black cat into a skunk (The cat will look like neither).

Horrific results, regardless of effort.
I once changed a yellow car into a sterling grey! With perfect results.

However, I stripped the interior and exterior down to factory bare parts- painted very possible surface. Even removed major parts of the wiring harness. On reassembly I even fbricated a new interior and headliner...

Now, you might ask what exotic car did I invest hundreds of hours on with such a painstaking restoration????

A 1974 Volkswagen Beetle.

A

(Uh, yeah, I was a lot younger! :) )

1 - 5 of 5 Posts