BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Came across these stands which look like a great solution to traditional stands.

Might be a stocking stuffer for myself this year.

·
Registered
01 Carbon/Silverstone
2,653 Posts
I've always wished something like this was available. But these (Rennstand) don't look like they will get your car high enough for anything other than tire/suspension work.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
WOW

WHERE HAVE THESE BEEN MY ENTIRE LIFE?!?!?!?

Of course now they pop up when I am on the verge of getting an actual lift in my new garage...

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
This is the 100% perfect solution to getting the entire car lifted off of the ground without dealing with jack placement shenanigans. I one spent about 40 full minutes getting my M5 totally off the ground to pull the exhaust out, and getting it back down on the ground after was equally challenging. This completely solves that problem and for a relatively inexpensive price.

The legs can be adjusted to be longer so I think you would have plenty of room under there.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'm down closer to 20 mins with 4 truck/suv jack stands, a 2 ton 18.5" max height low pro jack and a pair of wheel chocks.

With the car in-gear and e-brake on I jack up one front corner, lower the tire onto a sideways wheel chock, lift the whole front end up from the subframe point, throw jack stands under the front pads, lift the rear by the diff (pumpkin) with a sideways wheel chock on the lift pad then throw stands under the rear pads. That's it, no re-adjusting. Lifting centerline helps keeping the jack stands from tilting and/or fighting each other.

I like these Renn stands but if you lift side-to-side by the pads, the stands will inevitably fight each other and/or need to be re-adjusted. Sure the wheels on a hydraulic jack should compensate for the lift radius but regardless of hydraulic jack position, it never seems to work out that way.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I bought a pair of these Home for peace of mind knowing that its idiot proof even for me.

The owner has fabbed some wooden risers if you need a bit more room, to make similar. I picked up another pair locally for 4 total. Love them for the brainlessness of it all.

Am finishing up driveshaft / ssk job and it's tight but I could also lose some pounds.

Lift will be next, if ever.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
102 Posts
I want the rennstand and my lift stands but dang they're pricey! the Mylift stand ends up at $800 for 4!

Thank you for the link! Cool products for sure!

·
Registered
127 Posts
2X Costco 3 Ton hydraulic floor jacks, 1X Schwaben Long/Low, 4X Rhino Ramps, 4X ESCO jack stands with BMW lift point pucks. I can put the car up on stands or ramps under the tires(cant drive up them) in 10 min or less taking my time. Very versatile setup, half the cost of 4 of these stands, they are clever but I am not sure what problem they actually solve. I foresee allot of binding, limited height & adjustability, and negligible time savings. My 2cents...They might be great, who knows.

This thing has been a strong purchase:

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
To all those in this thread, someone said they jacked the car by the rear diff, please do not do that as it is a finned cover and I believe not as solid/strong as a solid unit and can crack due to the thinner material in the fins in this area. Please correct me if I am wrong, but I'd never jack the car's weight on the finned diff cover.

·
Registered
127 Posts
To all those in this thread, someone said they jacked the car by the rear diff, please do not do that as it is a finned cover and I believe not as solid/strong as a solid unit and can crack due to the thinner material in the fins in this area. Please correct me if I am wrong, but I'd never jack the car's weight on the finned diff cover.
It's well known to place the jack pad on the steel diff case, not on finned cover/flange. Or at least it should be well known...

·
2,618 Posts
First time I read about the diff I had to look it up. Per TIS it is an official jacking point on the E60 at least. The diff steel body, not the finned cover.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Anyone else jack up using the side rails? I put a 12" 2x6 to spread the load. Works great.

·
Registered
01 Carbon/Silverstone
2,653 Posts
Several years ago I looked for something like the Rennstand and even entertained designing something. The limitation of the Rennstand is the lack of height so it limits you to tire/brake/suspension work. Not worth the cost if you still need a set of Escos anyway.
But I did purchase one for the times I need to pull a single wheel to get a tire patched.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts