BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
today i spent some considerable time after work swapping my maf sensors for the new ones and making a 100% sealed ram induction type thingy.

i figured i better make it better rather then just repair it.

the intakes are like 3" all the way from the grille all the way under the lights then step up to the standard 4" (?) into the airboxes with the afe intakes ontop... serious volume of air :D

hopefully that addresses the weak point of the afe intakes!

and before you say it they are staying silver.. kinda like how it looks although my initial idea was to paint them silver... i cant be bothered with the stone chip touch ups and besides - there aernt too many m5s with intakes and scoops out there :D

the difference? no lie, it is FAST. like faster then before by a long way, almost certainly entirely down to the new mafs working correctly now but the intake system is pretty nifty, if you blow in the grill you can feel it in the airbox. i near wet my knickers... cant imagine the amount of air that will get into the airboxes on a run - all of it honefully closer to ambient temp

·
Registered
595 Posts
I like it.

·
Registered
142 Posts
how can i do this on my car

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I really can't see this ram-air setup doing anything. I don't think the rest of the intake system from the air inlets to the MAFs takes advantage of the air that's available with the OEM setup so I don't think making more air available before the airbox is really going to do anything.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
not MORE air, COOLER air!

the stock intakes take air from around the rad opening behind the bumper... these take fresh air way away from the radiator. now my airbox alu lids are cool to the touch after a run rather then how hot they were before. wether its a measureable hp gain is very doubtful. but it is a refinement!

·
4,395 Posts
am looking to do something similar, but keeping the stock orientation

NACA ducts in the front of the bumper - where the black trim ends:

and maybe 1 or 2 thin open ****s to let air into the bumper:
-either 1 over the license plate where the bumper curves into the grills
or
-2 vertical/horizontal ones - depending on where the naca ducts are positioned

EDIT:

Are you serious the word "SLlT" is censored?

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Intake mods definitely can make a difference to the performance both through reducing any restrictions and also through supplying cooler and therefore denser air (which is the same as more oxygen/air). On the n500 the intakes were ducted as you've got here, I shifted them to the fog lights and opened the brake ducts to cool the discs. I wanted to be able to stop as well as go!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
wkd! i had the same thought when taking it all apart - i see there are the aluminium ducts already that are covered by the mud guards....

after researching today i see that there are OEM part numbers for the rest of the ducting - i will certainly do this when the time comes for me to renew my discs, and like you have done, will switch the intakes to the fog lights and these intake holes to the brake ducts :)

its awesome to have a car where things like this are already in place and only need a little refinement to make them really nice! :grinyes:

the 'sink drains' are just from old 'ramair' induction kits - not sure if the us guys get ramair but they are like a foam k+n cone induction kit. it was something we had in old stock at work so i just used the ducting from two kits and some plastic ducting and jubilee clips - really easy and, i think, worthwhile mod :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts