BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All
I'm struggling to remove the passenger side wing mirror on my M5; I need to replace it as the motor is broken. I can't pull off the black triangular plastic cover that goes over the 3 nuts that hold the mirror on (inside car). Should it just pull off or is there a better way? Seems it will break if I keep pulling it.

Also does the coloured back cover pull off too? The replacement mirror I have is a different colour

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,273 Posts
madm5 said:
Hi All
I'm struggling to remove the passenger side wing mirror on my M5; I need to replace it as the motor is broken. I can't pull off the black triangular plastic cover that goes over the 3 nuts that hold the mirror on (inside car). Should it just pull off or is there a better way? Seems it will break if I keep pulling it.

Also does the coloured back cover pull off too? The replacement mirror I have is a different colour

Heat the cover up with a hairdrier to get it to expand & use a pronged trim tool to carefully lever the trim off.
(Please note trhat a hairdrier, not a heat gun..!)
Just take your time

Farrell

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
farrell said:
Heat the cover up with a hairdrier to get it to expand & use a pronged trim tool to carefully lever the trim off.
(Please note trhat a hairdrier, not a heat gun..!)
Just take your time

Farrell
cheers for the info
It's a bit of plastic (moulded on to the cover) that goes in to a hole on the door, this won't come out, does it just pull out? (this is on the black plastic cover over the bolts)

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
madm5 said:
cheers for the info
It's a bit of plastic (moulded on to the cover) that goes in to a hole on the door, this won't come out, does it just pull out? (this is on the black plastic cover over the bolts)
Yes, it just pulls out, you don`t need to heat it either(altough it may do it easier). You have to pull upwards-out, there`s a slot in the metal an there`s a little plastic knob that slides in the slot. It just sits quite hard.

:typing:
Sakke

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers for the replies guys, before fitting the mirror I tested a new one plugged in but still have the original problem (the reason i was replacing the mirror). THe old miror was disconnected when i got the car and when i plugged it in, and attempted to move it, the motor just clicked. If I then turned the ignition on the mirror would rotate fully left then start clicking as it tries to rotate further to the left. Both replacement mirrors I bought do the same thing so I guess it must be the mirror control unit. WHere is this?? Or could it be a relay or something?

·
Registered
911 Posts
madm5 said:
Cheers for the replies guys, before fitting the mirror I tested a new one plugged in but still have the original problem (the reason i was replacing the mirror). THe old miror was disconnected when i got the car and when i plugged it in, and attempted to move it, the motor just clicked. If I then turned the ignition on the mirror would rotate fully left then start clicking as it tries to rotate further to the left. Both replacement mirrors I bought do the same thing so I guess it must be the mirror control unit. WHere is this?? Or could it be a relay or something?
Sorry to hijack but i have similar problems that i have been sort of ignoring for a day or two! No matter which position the selector switch is on when i try to adjust the mirrors the n/s one just points at the floor,also with the drivers selected and then selecting reverse the same thing happens as i beleive it should,trouble is it doesnt return to its original position again! I figured it must be a control unit but are the mirrors this technical? If so where is it???????

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Geach said:
Sorry to hijack but i have similar problems that i have been sort of ignoring for a day or two! No matter which position the selector switch is on when i try to adjust the mirrors the n/s one just points at the floor,also with the drivers selected and then selecting reverse the same thing happens as i beleive it should,trouble is it doesnt return to its original position again! I figured it must be a control unit but are the mirrors this technical? If so where is it???????
I had a similar problem with my passenger mirror.
Ended up replacing the ECU (controls both the electric seats and mirrors), had the mirror rewired (BMW sell a repair kit) and then all was well.

Problem was it cost nearly £600 in parts and labour!!!

Steve

·
Registered
911 Posts
hertfordshire1 said:
I had a similar problem with my passenger mirror.
Ended up replacing the ECU (controls both the electric seats and mirrors), had the mirror rewired (BMW sell a repair kit) and then all was well.

Problem was it cost nearly £600 in parts and labour!!!

Steve
Thats a lot of cash! I think i'll be trying to source some second hand bits,until then manual mirror adjustment!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts